Main Menu

Faerun Elven Dictionary

Started by bracethyself, Dec 06, 2015, 02:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bracethyself

Nice resource of elven words and meanings from various FR sources (novels mostly):

www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/diction_elf.htm

Edge

Just a friendly note from the staff: as mentioned in other threads, while we don't mind players adding one- or two-word phrases in setting-appropriate languages in the middle of otherwise-English (Common) sentences, anything more than that must make use of the in-game language codes, using the language widget items and text /(language) commands. It isn't fair to players who don't have this or any other linguistic resource available, or to force them to tab in and out of the game to translate, when we have the language system built-in on the server.

For those who are relatively new here, this has been an issue we've had in some instances in the past, so we want to avoid any misunderstandings in the future. Thanks in advance =)
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.
DM Tiamat | Szuriel | Maedhbh | Cassilda

bracethyself

Of course, that makes sense, posted more for naming of things (possessions, familiars, etc.) than anything else. And just for the setting fluff. :)

Deleted

I'll throw this and the name generator onto the Player Resources forum.  Thanks.

bracethyself

Also Candlekeep has a list of elven names from various sources as well: www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/elven_names.htm

Deleted

Yeah, but I prefer the generator.  You get the actual meaning behind the name.  ;)

Mystic Warden

Maybe it is also worth mentioning that character descriptions should also not be overflowing with such words. For the sake of those of us (myself included) not being total FR elf lore buffs.
Sindel Sinul, witch, herbswoman and tarot reader extraordinaire with a strong business sense
Diana Castelli, cute bookworm, arcane nerd, with the 'Weapon focus: book' feat
Vicky DeVille, daddy's princess, conjuring up some trouble
Melinda Moon, merc with a mouth and two tonfa-hilted short swords

Misty

Maybe we could get a list on the forums of the words and their meanings that are commonly used? Et'Al for Bladesinger, the different kinds of Quessir, ect. Been a challenge going well into elven rp lately trying to figure all of these out <.<
Of course you should fight with fire. You should fight everything with fire.
---
There's too many they consumed everything

Deleted

That's in the first link.

thorien

Arya

I want to echo what Edge said as a long-time player in the 'elven community' of Cormyr Dalelands. I know I am not around as often, so that gives my words very limited credence, but I can safely say that this has been an issue when I was active. I use some of the bare basics, such as Quessir and a greeting and goodbye here and there, but I do not want to overwhelm people who have limited access to 'elf lore resources.' So I often keep the words I use to just that. It helps people feel included and less isolated for 'not knowing.'

Best,
Arya
"I will break the chains of our past, the hold of Empires my ancestors swore against. My sins began with him, they will end with me, Seldarine witness to my defiance!" -- Daeatria Ravenshadow

"Our failings did not mean no Dream was. Some fought for it, many died for it." --Kan'itae Ravenshadow