Main Menu

Gnoll Subrace.

Started by lycon, Jan 23, 2017, 12:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lycon

Common enough and not really overpowered either. Just thought i would suggest the addition.

Edge

Gnolls are too monstrous of a species and lack any sort of innate magic or shapeshifting (such as half-planars, lycanthropes, aranea, etc.) or natural camouflage (such as yuan-ti purebloods) to allow themselves to disguise themselves as something less hostile. They're in the same box as goblinoids, full orcs, and lizardfolk/kobolds - just on the other side of the "too freaky to tolerate" line from, say, half-dragons.

See this thread for further information.
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.
DM Tiamat | Szuriel | Maedhbh | Cassilda

Garage Trashcan

Not to mention they're literal demon-spawn whose only desire in all of existence is to feast on the flesh of intelligent creatures, which they need to do constantly. Same reason they weren't one of the "Monstrous Race" additions they just added for 5e.
Torsten Solberg - Jovial Jotunkind
Halonya Gabranth - Paladin of Hoar
Alethra Duskmantle - Spoiled Socialite
Retired PCs: Felix Greentrack, Nikolai Mikhailovich

Edge

I don't think the demonspawn bit and must eat sentient flesh to survive is 3e. It's not in any source i have access to right now.

Gnolls certainly do eat sentients and worship a demon lord so fiendbloods in their packs are common, but i don't think either is a universal truth in 3e lore.
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.

Fire Wraith

As Edge said, the problem lies more in the visibility of the race and the reactions that would likely be provoked by having one of them in a human city in the current setting.

I'd honestly like to open things up to more humanoids, whether goblinoid or lizard-type or gnolls, even minotaurs, because it's not a game mechanics balance issue - and at one point we had an idea for how to do that, but the server's population just isn't large enough to support a second population center for the "undesireables" that can't openly hang out in Arabel.

We do however have several lycanthrope options that are available, because those can easily hide and interact.

Lastly, just because the policy is such at the moment, doesn't mean it can't change. I'm not promising we will change our minds, only saying that we have in the past. We're not opposed to things for no reasons, and if the underlying facts change, we'll reassess our position.
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." -George Bernard Shaw

"So long as you harbor love for this world, ever shall there be a place for you in it. Your adventures will never end."

Garage Trashcan

Edge Avatar
I don't think the demonspawn bit and must eat sentient flesh to survive is 3e. It's not in any source i have access to right now.

Gnolls certainly do eat sentients and worship a demon lord so fiendbloods in their packs are common, but i don't think either is a universal truth in 3e lore.
Okay, yeah, that's me reading Volo's Guide last week. Please disregard.
Torsten Solberg - Jovial Jotunkind
Halonya Gabranth - Paladin of Hoar
Alethra Duskmantle - Spoiled Socialite
Retired PCs: Felix Greentrack, Nikolai Mikhailovich

lycon

If you don't mind me asking... what about the evil city?

Nokteronoth

There really isn't much of an evil city. There's Scchindylryn in the Underdark, but almost nobody goes there. (I know this because the Thayan Enclave is now there.)

Everything else is part of Cormyr- and there aren't enough players to really be in all of them most of the time. Most everyone spends the majority of their time in Arabel or the Vineyard nearby, because they're easy to get to and where most of the players are. This is an RPG thing in my experience. People will congregate at the starting area for a server and not often go elsewhere until they have someone to go with or something in mind to do. (RP or dungeon elsewhere.)

~BR

Edge

Pretty much what Nok said. The original intent was to have two server hubs - Arabel on the surface and Sschin in the Underdark, and rules on races and appearances would understandably be laxer in the latter, but that never actually worked out and the Underdark never got as expansive or thorough as perhaps originally intended, and much of the ideas regarding using it as a secondary hub got abandoned years ago

The original design intent was that characters could grow and thrive from creation all the way into epic levels without ever setting foot in the space of the region they chose not to anchor themselves to, save for possibly crossing paths out in the wilderness or in high-level dungeons. That never actually worked out, though, and while Sschin is for the most part a complete city, there's no rest of the Underdark to compare to the sheer amount of content available on the surface, meaning that at some point any character created in the Underdark is going to need to travel to the surface and spend extensive time among the cities and populace there.

There's also the issue of splitting the player base between two hubs - which might have been a workable idea back in the server's heyday in 2006-9, when we had the server full to bursting almost every night and people had to fight just to log in, but those days are past now, and now the far smaller server population is not going to work with a separated server anchor city. Thus Arabel remains the place everyone congregates and where most things happen, and Sschin is just another city in the module.

Unfortunately sometimes plans just don't work out.

Ogre Time Yay

Shame it didn't work out, I would have had a home for my Ogre character.  8)
DUN DUN DUUUUUUNNN!