Main Menu

Moving to a New (Host) Server

Started by Fire Wraith, Apr 28, 2014, 11:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fire Wraith

We are that is - specifically, a new machine running Windows 7, replacing the old XP machine that CD has been running on ever since... 2007-ish?

This should be an entirely seamless transition for pretty much everyone who isn't myself, Vincent, or does LETO work.  I've been testing (for Science) the database port, and it works (or at least it seems to be).

So what does this mean for everyone else?

Hopefully a smoother-running server with more horsepower, memory/processing etc, and additional cores that we can add server instances for if need be.  NWN refuses to run on more than one core, but we can put up multiple instances each on its own core, hence the current setup with 2 servers (thus we might add another dungeon server, or a player housing server, or whatnot, depending on needs).  Anyway, that's getting ahead of ourselves.

I need to do the final move, which will probably occur sometime in the a.m. tomorrow morning (29 April) US East Coast time.
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." -George Bernard Shaw

"So long as you harbor love for this world, ever shall there be a place for you in it. Your adventures will never end."

daphne

Orvil

I second the good luck motion. Also don't burn down the server in the transition. Although... Post apocalyptic Cormyr could make for some interesting roleplay..... Yeah, burn down the server!!

Not Batman

Orvil Avatar
I second the good luck motion. Also don't burn down the server in the transition. Although... Post apocalyptic Cormyr could make for some interesting roleplay..... Yeah, burn down the server!!
Seconded. Let's see some distopia shiz.

Fire Wraith

Well, worst case the files and configurations will still be on the old machine, so.  It'll just be a matter of plugging it back in if we need to revert.
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." -George Bernard Shaw

"So long as you harbor love for this world, ever shall there be a place for you in it. Your adventures will never end."

Fire Wraith

Overall it will probably be about an hour of down time as I copy the full server vault over, along with the database files.  Should start ~2 hours from now.

Fire Wraith

And we're live.  Let us know if anything seems out of sorts.

Garage Trashcan

Orvil Avatar
I actually thought about what this would be like if Orcs destroyed Arabel. Of course, we'd all be sitting in the square, still. But it's a RUINED square!
Torsten Solberg - Jovial Jotunkind
Halonya Gabranth - Paladin of Hoar
Alethra Duskmantle - Spoiled Socialite
Retired PCs: Felix Greentrack, Nikolai Mikhailovich

Fire Wraith

Tch, Orcs destroying Arabel? That's _so_ five years ago.

Orcs were totally destroying Arabel before it was cool, those fraking hipsters. >.>

Goat

Huzzah for a seamless transition!  And thank you guys for all your hard work you do for our enjoyment!  It is greatly appreciated! <3

Atomic Twinkie

I don't know about the rest of you but I am a victim of server change. I no longer have any legs, they were lost in transition. =[

Orvil

I second goat on that big time. This server wouldn't be what it is without you guys.

Orvil

Not sure if you are in the middle of it or not at the moment, or if anyone has made you aware but the dungeon server is down and just timing out.

It's clearly the home of Cthulhu and he's coming.  Everyone pray for a new beginning.

oarthias

The "portaling" to the dungeon server doesn't seem to be working. At least not at the King's Forest -Orc Foothills.