Main Menu

Spellsword questions

Started by goodapollo, May 28, 2014, 12:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

goodapollo

I'm looking at making a spellsword, and it seems like the extra spell slots work like palemaster in vanilla nwn. Knowing that, is it worth it at all to make a sorc or bard spellsword, or are they basically a wizard class?

aazonis

At this time PRCs don't give you new spells for sorcs and bards. If all you want are caster levels though it should work

Garage Trashcan

The only thing I'm unsure about is if you'll be able to pick up all your missed spells if you later take bard/sorc levels.

Though Vincent Potter and the Sorcerer's Code has been a long time in the making, and they seem to be getting closer to something workable. One of the reasons the hak update is taking so long.
Torsten Solberg - Jovial Jotunkind
Halonya Gabranth - Paladin of Hoar
Alethra Duskmantle - Spoiled Socialite
Retired PCs: Felix Greentrack, Nikolai Mikhailovich

The Red Mage

Garage Trashcan Avatar
Vincent Potter and the Sorcerer's Code
I'm done.

Can't top that.

Vincent07

Bwahaha.  Win.

But as said, sorc/bard does not work with PrCs at present.   I have a semi-working system, but it's very much a kludge and I'm kind of hoping to find something better.
"You think any of it matters? The things we did? The lives we destroyed. That's all that's ever gonna count. So, yeah, surprise. You're going to hell. We both are." -Angel

Fire Wraith

To be specific, all of it works better than vanilla NWN/HotU - but Sorcerers/Bards still have a problem.

As a Wizard, you get the spell slots, and the casting level.  You aren't given any new free spells, but by finding scrolls you can learn new ones.

Sorcerers and Bards get the spell slots and the casting level - but, because they don't learn new spells any other way, they're stuck with only the spells they have as a Sorcerer.  This isn't a problem if you're level 20, but it's very much one if you want to be a level 10 sorc/10 spellsword.  The script system we have lets you assign spells manually, but the problem is that, while that works, it doesn't save across logins.
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." -George Bernard Shaw

"So long as you harbor love for this world, ever shall there be a place for you in it. Your adventures will never end."

Garage Trashcan

The Red Mage Avatar
Garage Trashcan Avatar
Vincent Potter and the Sorcerer's Code
I'm done.

Can't top that.
I've been holding onto this one for weeeeeeeeks waiting for the right moment.
Torsten Solberg - Jovial Jotunkind
Halonya Gabranth - Paladin of Hoar
Alethra Duskmantle - Spoiled Socialite
Retired PCs: Felix Greentrack, Nikolai Mikhailovich

goodapollo

Sweet, I'll hold off on the idea for a bit.

Fire Wraith

I should also note that the Spellsword listing was out of date - it's been fixed to 3.5e standards since like, 2010, but we neglected to fix the entry in the forum.  It's corrected now.  Short version, spellswords get a lot more reduction of spell failure, and by level 9 Spellsword can wear full plate + tower shield with 0% spell failure.  They also get +1/+1 AB.
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." -George Bernard Shaw

"So long as you harbor love for this world, ever shall there be a place for you in it. Your adventures will never end."