Main Menu

Clipping on the Event Server

Started by , Aug 29, 2014, 03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deleted

Just curious why the ability to toggle off clipping was removed from the event server.  Playing now feels more like ping-pong than an adventure.

Vincent07

It was disabled because it allows PCs to run directly through NPCs, thus often bypassing say, a line of melee protecting squishy mages in the background.  I'm looking into a better solution.
"You think any of it matters? The things we did? The lives we destroyed. That's all that's ever gonna count. So, yeah, surprise. You're going to hell. We both are." -Angel

Deleted

:-/

Sound tactic in D&D, though.  You incur AoOs from the melee types you bull-rush past/through, but still doable.

Oh well.

It's mainly a headache for the party members, less for the "rush past enemies" part.

Vincent07

Well, you should be able to move past, just not directly clip through. That's the issue.
"You think any of it matters? The things we did? The lives we destroyed. That's all that's ever gonna count. So, yeah, surprise. You're going to hell. We both are." -Angel

onivel

Vincent07 Avatar
Well, you should be able to move past, just not directly clip through. That's the issue.
Except there is no bull rush in NWN.. there is just KD which puts them on their can in front of you and still blocks everything.. Bull rush knocks an opponent back creating the opportunity for allies to to follow through the created gap in the line. 

I follow what you are saying though Vince in your original reasoning. Its just annoying pushing each other out the way constantly.
" Just take that little voice in your head that tells you to be tactful and understanding and shoot it. Shoot it in the goddamn face. " - Kirito .. Message is brought to you by the Kirito is Always Right Foundation.

The Red Mage

I read bull-rush as in just running through the enemy melee line and them automatically moving away.

Deleted

You can bull rush (shove through them), overrun (run over/through them), or tumble through them in PnP.

However, a computer game doesn't allow the same tactics and minimizes the consequences/danger of said tactics.  I can understand balancing being an issue, but I hope a different alternative is found (and soon).

Fire Wraith

Remember, there are alternate tactics available on CD that aren't present in classic NWN, such as Dimension Door or Flight.
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." -George Bernard Shaw

"So long as you harbor love for this world, ever shall there be a place for you in it. Your adventures will never end."

sinisteromnibus

Fire Wraith Avatar
Remember, there are alternate tactics available on CD that aren't present in classic NWN, such as Dimension Door or Flight.
Or /leap. By the way, you guys may want to look into /leap abuse. It lets you get through electricity doors, get around clipping and obstructions (like rocks/debris), and lets you get to a few places you shouldn't normally be able to reach (like the other side of those silly placeable walls in the Haunted Halls of Eveningstar. To bypass clipping issues in dungeons I've just bound /leap in a macro to my quickslots.

Vincent07

Yeah. I need to put a disabling catch in it so I can stop it from being used in a few spots. (Barrier doors for one)

The Red Mage

The biggest problem I've had with clipping so far is the hilarity that is grouping for a teleport.

onivel

The Red Mage Avatar
The biggest problem I've had with clipping so far is the hilarity that is grouping for a teleport.
Yeah... it now looks like a Drowning Pool mosh pit and typically ends with one or more needing to "blue gem" home.
" Just take that little voice in your head that tells you to be tactful and understanding and shoot it. Shoot it in the goddamn face. " - Kirito .. Message is brought to you by the Kirito is Always Right Foundation.

Garage Trashcan

onivel Avatar
The Red Mage Avatar
Yeah... it now looks like a Drowning Pool mosh pit and typically ends with one or more needing to "blue gem" home.
Inb4 someone brings back the panties of teleportation.
Torsten Solberg - Jovial Jotunkind
Halonya Gabranth - Paladin of Hoar
Alethra Duskmantle - Spoiled Socialite
Retired PCs: Felix Greentrack, Nikolai Mikhailovich

gork

Another problem with it is pushing someone in to a trap - Kuttner died today thanks to it, it's not a problem for most but - well many scrolls where used, 1 minute later, trap, dead, and all over again. I am fine if it was me who was careless and stepped on it but random death is not exactly most fun experience. 

P.S.
I am not saying it have to be turned off or anything, just adding one more thing that may bother someone. 

Vincent07

Recent update should resolve this.