Main Menu

uhhh rip

Started by The Red Mage, Sep 11, 2014, 04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Red Mage

Apparently it was just dirty.

I'm picking it up now, but I won't be able to try it until tonight.

The Red Mage

My computer is doing the six beep thing again, but this time there was no cup of water... pls

Fire Wraith

Depends what BIOS you have. I'd do a quick google search on what that POST code translate to for what you're using, should tell you if there's anything you can try. For instance, 6 beeps on AMI means your keyboard isn't connected properly, but that doesn't mean that's what it is for others.
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." -George Bernard Shaw

"So long as you harbor love for this world, ever shall there be a place for you in it. Your adventures will never end."

The Red Mage

I don't know how to computer, but I tried multiple ports and keyboards just now to no avail.

Fire Wraith

What brand of computer? Or, if it's a non-specific brand, who made the motherboard? (It should say on it)
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." -George Bernard Shaw

"So long as you harbor love for this world, ever shall there be a place for you in it. Your adventures will never end."

The Red Mage

It's an older alien ware now, one of the auroura models, but i'm not sure off the top of my head. The brief research I did said it could be a gpu issue. I know I need to install more memory on it easy, but I'm not sure which gpu I should get or which one would fit if I do get one.

Could get it opened up and looked at, anyone you know could tell the difference?

The Red Mage

It magically came on  yesterday, and it did say something about not being able to recognize the keyboard, but it shut off last night again. I don't know how to get it back on either. The monitor went off and started flashing it's power light and first, then it shut down and started beeping at me.

SOC_Tessa

Any amount of beeping indicates a hardware fault. According to Alienware beep codes, six beeps is a video card/chip issue:
en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19451762

Have you tried re-seating the card in the slot? If comfortable, open the case, make sure power is off, that you've grounded yourself by touching the metal of the case itself before any components. Locate the video card, press the release catch, pull it out, then set it back into place.

If you are able to snap a shot of the model number on the video card, I'm sure someone can suggest a replacement of similar type should it come to that. The only real cautionary note is that this follows the water-spill incident, so there's no guarantee that even if the current issue is fixed that there won't be other affected components (especially if the motherboard or power supply came under any damage).

Edge

Man, I remember having an Alienware. The video card melted.
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.
DM Tiamat | Szuriel | Maedhbh | Cassilda

The Red Mage

I don't even know where the video card is. :(

The Red Mage

Everything seems to be set properly. When water was Spilled in it, nothing circuited or there was no burning smell. The repair shop said they found nothing wrong with it, but who knows really about them? They were kinda sketchy.

Alright, yeah, some of them are sketchy, but still beep codes?

SOC_Tessa

The Red Mage Avatar
I don't even know where the video card is. :(
It should be the long rectangular module that exposes your video connection through the case. :)

Although, if you are at all uncomfortable messing with it, it likely isn't a good idea (unless you are almost certain its toast and will need replacing).

Like sorn asked, though, is the BIOS still beeping when it refuses to start up?

I don't suppose you happen to have another system you can use to check your cable and monitor with, or that you could swap a working video card from?

The Red Mage

No other unused systems. I'll have to open it up when I got some time. I really dont have another hundred and fifty bucks to toss at that place again to fix it for another two weeks plus the cost of another card if that's the issue.