Main Menu

Warlock

Started by Vincent07, Feb 04, 2015, 03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goodapollo

Oh, hella! Grabbing some more..

Leaps and Bounds: I forget if we have a jump skill. If yes, bonus to that and tumble, movement speed increase.

Imbue Item: Allows Warlock to use the crafting system.

Bane Blast: Pick one monster type. When using your Baneful Blast essence, you deal blast damage + (some bonus here) against that monster type.

Fey Heritage: Prereq- Non-lawful.
The warlock's fey heritage grants them a bonus vs enchantment, and the woodland stride ability.

Fey Presence: Prereq: Fey Heritage
You add Charm monster and Alter Self to your warlock powers. Gains the (optional) 'eyebite' essence, dropping eldritch blast to d4 dice to blind struck enemies for 1 round.

Fey Legacy: Prereq: Fey Heritage
Add Confusion and Entangle to your warlock powers.

Fey Skin: Prereq: Fey Heritage
Gain 1 DR/Cold Iron for each fey heritage feat you possess.

modronlove

*drools*. I am excited by this.  I've always kinda liked the warlock class.  In fact,  The one thing I liked in 4e was how they handled the warlock.  I loved you could have pacts from different Powers i.e lower planar, upper planar, fey, far realm etc etc.  it would be nice to implement that in some way here, even if it was only in an rp fashion.  

Vincent07

It would almost have to be solely RP.  A lot of that sort of thing is just too difficult to do within the constraints of our server.
"You think any of it matters? The things we did? The lives we destroyed. That's all that's ever gonna count. So, yeah, surprise. You're going to hell. We both are." -Angel

modronlove

That'd be fine by me.  Looks fun :)

Garage Trashcan

All of my yes.
Torsten Solberg - Jovial Jotunkind
Halonya Gabranth - Paladin of Hoar
Alethra Duskmantle - Spoiled Socialite
Retired PCs: Felix Greentrack, Nikolai Mikhailovich

trylobyte

I've played on a server with the PRC implementation of Warlock, so I have a few words of warning here...

1)  Vitriolic Eldritch Chain.  It's a point and shoot fire and forget ability that is better than every mage's damage spells.  Infinitely repeatable with no save and no spell resistance combined with a 3/4 AB that makes the touch attack unlikely to miss anything.  Everything is equally vulnerable, something mages don't have access to (since even IGMS allows SR).  Acid immunity?  Very little has that, or even resistance, and even then you can just change your damage type.  This alone make mages who focus on dealing damage totally inferior to a Warlock since Warlocks are doing just as much damage, to more targets, more reliably, and they never run out of spells.  Additionally, in the PRC implementation, the acid damage over time stacks.  Beware this combination if you want mages to be meaningful damage-dealers too.

2)  Chilling Tentacles.  Be careful how you code it!  The PRC implementation causes cutscene paralysis, which means it is unaffected by Freedom of Movement and does not allow for retaliatory action.  Combine with Vitriolic Eldritch Chain and you get a whole lot of tears.  Don't make that mistake.

3)  Energy Resistance.  Don't be surprised if everyone picks Cold as one of the types, since that makes them immune to the Frost Giant dungeon.

4)  Epic Invocation Focus.  Is there any reason it's 4 points more DC than a mage's Epic Spell Focus?

goodapollo

Looks like a custom version, not the PRC one?
Chilling tentacles would just be cold-damage black tentacles, at a guess.

Vincent07

This is entirely custom work, so little that is true of the PRC version will be true here.  But to address Trylo's points:

1: Eldritch Chain will require taking a feat if you want it. A ranged touch attack will be required for every target in the chain.

2: As stated, it will pretty much just be Evards with extra cold damage.  The implementation you listed is just sloppily done.  There is no reason to ever use Cutscene Paralysis against PCs unless you specifically want to ignore things that allow you immunity
to paralysis.  So that will not be happening here.

3: It allows them to resist the environmental damage. And Frost Giants isn't the only place with that at present.  It hardly makes them 'immune' to the dungeon.  They can still get their faces crit off by a greataxe.

4: Probably because I didn't look at existing feats when I wrote all this out.  As I stated up top, all this may change.
"You think any of it matters? The things we did? The lives we destroyed. That's all that's ever gonna count. So, yeah, surprise. You're going to hell. We both are." -Angel

trylobyte

I am happy now.  Thank you for your prompt response.  Bring on the Warlocks!

Vincent07

Update:

Added Deceive item and Warlock Pact selection.

Pact selection will be the one way that one warlock will differ from another.  As stated above, these abilities may change and numbers are not yet worked out.

Masque

How would hideous blow work? Would it always be on or would you have to activate it for a single attack or would it work like Divine Might does?

Also like with the normal Warlock I am assuming these would be unlimited per day in use?

Vincent07

All Warlock abilities are at will, yes.

As for Hideous Blow, yeah it would add X damage for a short duration, probably not too different from Divine Might in that regard. Probably won't be the full amount of eldritch blast, as that gets to be a -lot- of damage.

Edge

Maybe more in line with Elemental Weapon, perhaps?
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.
DM Tiamat | Szuriel | Maedhbh | Cassilda

Masque

Would Divine Might stack with it?

Looking at the abilities I think it steers towards a Bard/Warlock/Blackguard build with at will invisibility you are essentially getting a poor man's HiPS at quite a low level. Then add in the Cha synergy the sneak attack from blackguard and the Bard being the base class for a few spells, Tumble and the like. Then with Div Shield you can put that Cha to work in defence and if Div Might stacks you're getting Cha to damage as well.

Would be potentially be on the power curve just under Bard and Paladin (which isn't a bad place to be). Seems like a lot of the abilities steer it towards being an archer-type character but I think it would very much shine as a melee warrior with the right multi-classing.

Masque

Also can you sneak attack with Eldrtich Blast? The first few levels seem like a really good idea for a Rogue. Infinite darkness and infinite Ultravision to set up those delicious sneak attacks? Yes please.