Main Menu

Nature Deity Discussion

Started by , Mar 24, 2015, 11:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deleted

Uhm, druids have to follow nature deities, or those with a nature portfolio/domain.  Lliira doesn't qualify as such, and does not qualify as a deity for druids/rangers.

Edge

Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.
DM Tiamat | Szuriel | Maedhbh | Cassilda

suddenperihelion

A druid must have a nature deity as a patron in order to receive spells (FRCS, p23). But most people on Faerun follow other deities in addition to their patron (FRCS, p232). One aspect of the setting that is sometimes overlooked in NWN is that plenty of people worship more than one deity on a daily basis (FRCS, p232). As an aside, FRCS even goes out of its way to mention that many people offer appeasements to deities of alignments differing from their own.

My interpretation of that is that a druid could follow/worship other deities, as long as their -patron- deity was a nature deity. Though always if there's a house rule it comes first.

Edit: because grammar hard

Deleted

Yes, a character can worship more than one deity.  I interpreted the statement made as "I have a druid whose patron is Liira."  If that's not the case, then the character concept is fine (as long as the "patron" is the primary deity venerated/served).

realityjumper

I didn't say patron. I said follows.

She has a reason for having a secondary god in her life.

"Death floats on the air, creeps through the window, comes with the handshake of a stranger. If we stop living because we fear death, then we have already died." ~ Raistlin Majere

Atomic Twinkie

Polygamy? Is that the reason?

suddenperihelion

Atomic Twinkie Avatar

Polygamy is spouses. When it's gods, it's called Polytheism.

Arya

A few points to consider, before redirecting to the original topic.

Eilistraee does not have any of the nature portfolio, but her clergy can and do often multiclass as rangers.  We have an established ranger of Eilistraee (or did).  I am not sure if the source material would make that option available if there was not some degree of flexibility for rangers.  (Granted, some read the 'hunt' portfolio as a nature-oriented one, and Eilistraee has a strong history and connection with the hunt.)

Kelemvor is another who has clerics who sometimes multiclass as rangers, which is even more deviating from the nature realm.  These rangers' purpose is hunting undead.

FRCS 3.0 states the following on Rangers: "Rangers and druids have similar preferences for deities, although some rangers with odd interests (such as hunting undead) choose different patrons" (p. 16).  So, while as a general rule they commonly and do have nature patrons, the Forgotten Realms has this line in the source indicating they can still have some variance.  The nature-thing might be a rule for general D&D and the FR has all of these exceptions noted.

I would like to discuss this further, either in private or in another thread, if there is more debate to have.  

Sincerely,
Arya
"I will break the chains of our past, the hold of Empires my ancestors swore against. My sins began with him, they will end with me, Seldarine witness to my defiance!" -- Daeatria Ravenshadow

"Our failings did not mean no Dream was. Some fought for it, many died for it." --Kan'itae Ravenshadow

Arya

Arya Kalarathri Avatar

I would like to discuss this further, either in private or in another thread, if there is more debate to have.  

Sincerely,
Arya
<.<

I think I need to reiterate: we probably should take the rest of this debate to another topic, or a private debate.

~Arya

"I will break the chains of our past, the hold of Empires my ancestors swore against. My sins began with him, they will end with me, Seldarine witness to my defiance!" -- Daeatria Ravenshadow

"Our failings did not mean no Dream was. Some fought for it, many died for it." --Kan'itae Ravenshadow

Atomic Twinkie

suddenperihelion Avatar
Atomic Twinkie Avatar
Polygamy is spouses. When it's gods, it's called Polytheism.
I know >.> I was is make joke, yes? You laugh.. *takes out gun* YOU LAUGH

Deleted

A druid must have a nature deity as a patron in order to receive spells (FRCS, p23).

The limitation is for druids, not rangers.  As said in the FRCS:

Rangers and druids have similar preferences for deities, although some rangers with odd interests (such as hunting undead) choose different patrons.  (FRCS, pg. 26)
Thus, yes, rangers are not limited to nature deities.  Only druids are.

Nymera

Eilistraee may not have any nature domains, but she is somewhat tied to nature.  Hunting and hunters are part of her portfolio.

Valimar Dragonbane

Semi-related to this whole discussion: Is it possible to multiclass wizard and druid for a somewhat unusual path toward mystic theruge?  Or are those two classes so incompatible that it wouldn't be a viable option?
Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

A diplomat... is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you actually look forward to the trip. - Caskie Stinnett

Adventure is just bad planning. - Roald Amundsen

realityjumper

Had I been approached about this in private, it could have been cleared up in moments. As said before, she had a nature goddess. She also had a reason for the second goddess. 

Considering the fact that everyone has NOT bothered to find out which goddess the character actually patronizes, it matters little as I've gotten a bad taste to even want to play her again.

"Death floats on the air, creeps through the window, comes with the handshake of a stranger. If we stop living because we fear death, then we have already died." ~ Raistlin Majere

suddenperihelion

Pretty sure the discussion is purely academic now. Everyone's clear on your particular PC! :)