Main Menu

Some thoughts on RP/Lore, IC vs OOC, and when it conflicts

Started by Fire Wraith, Sep 04, 2015, 12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edge

Yeah the lack of Lolth's Silence and the Rage of Dragons are probably the two big ones.
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.
DM Tiamat | Szuriel | Maedhbh | Cassilda

valiea987

The cut off date is 1372 right? With a few exceptions, such as Lolth's Silence which happens during the second half of 1372 and the early part of 1373. That's what I was told when I was looking into this place, and it would be in line with the server lore being based off of the 3.0/3.5 FRCS.

Edge

That's correct.

The Rage of Dragons was supposed to happen in 1376 I believe, which is the server's current year IIRC.
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.

Nokteronoth

From Vince in the Player REsources section:

We are presently in winter/spring of 1378 DR. Some of the more recent events are not canon on CD. (specifically between 1372-1374DR)

~BR

onivel

Nokteronoth Avatar

We are presently in winter/spring of 1378 DR. Some of the more recent events are not canon on CD. (specifically between 1372-1374DR)

~BR
Yes.. I've seen that post... I was just saying it would be good for us to have somewhere specifically with the timeline a note for some of the major events that did not occur such as the two Edge mentioned. 
" Just take that little voice in your head that tells you to be tactful and understanding and shoot it. Shoot it in the goddamn face. " - Kirito .. Message is brought to you by the Kirito is Always Right Foundation.

valiea987

onivel Avatar
Nokteronoth Avatar

~BR
Yes.. I've seen that post... I was just saying it would be good for us to have somewhere specifically with the timeline a note for some of the major events that did not occur such as the two Edge mentioned. 
I like this idea. At the very latest, we know the FR lore which is not canon is everything past the 27th of Eleasias, 1372 DR (the 28th was the Silence of Lolth).

I'll see if I can grab some major events and put together some rudimentary timeline to point out where things diverge. Sounds like a lot of fun! Any ideas for big events that should be plotted for sure? Time of Troubles of course.

Edge

The biggest overall plotlines on CD itself that I can think of were the War with the City of Shade and the Rise of the Drow Matron Zauervs. The former I was not around for; the latter ended in January of 2011 (I spent the past ten minutes digging through my logs to find it!) and had been going on for most if not all of 2010 and possibly prior.

FW I think would be the one to fill in the gaps about the Shade plot, though there may be others who know it just as well, and the Matron plot was almost 100% Arya's.

Arya

That is correct.  The Matron Zauervs' Ambitions plot started in 2009 and ended very much right after new years of 2011.  While not the longest server wide plot CD had, it had its long term impact on the server. It was able to take off after the conclusion of a previous plot.

Sincerely,
Arya

"I will break the chains of our past, the hold of Empires my ancestors swore against. My sins began with him, they will end with me, Seldarine witness to my defiance!" -- Daeatria Ravenshadow

"Our failings did not mean no Dream was. Some fought for it, many died for it." --Kan'itae Ravenshadow

valiea987

Do you have any idea of the ingame year of those events so I can put them on the CD branch of the timeline? I was told the years don't go 1-1 with our own (which is going to introduce a particular trouble for my journal for Angelina :P). If it was 1-1 and was in 2009, that would put it 6 years ago, so 1378-6=1372. Probably immediately after the timeline branches mid-year in 1372. Was that when the server was created?

Arya

Spring 2009 to Spring 2001 would be from 1372 to 1374, wouldn't it?

Need confirmation on that.

~Arya
"I will break the chains of our past, the hold of Empires my ancestors swore against. My sins began with him, they will end with me, Seldarine witness to my defiance!" -- Daeatria Ravenshadow

"Our failings did not mean no Dream was. Some fought for it, many died for it." --Kan'itae Ravenshadow

Fire Wraith

If I remember correctly...

Book I was some stuff with Bandits that never started/finished, and we skipped ahead. Say 1372. 
Book II was the Shadovar War.  Say Roughly 1373-1374.
Book III was the Drow Plot.  Say Roughly 1375ish.
Book IV was the Whispers.  Say Roughly 1376-77ish.
Book V is where we are now, so 1377+.

Also, we haven't been running at 1:1 time the whole way. The original plan was that RL time would be fluid, and things would vary based on the amount of time spent on a particular story phase, meaning that a "summer" season could last a year or two if it was an important one with lots happening, or we could have things pass quickly when stuff got quiet. But everyone seemed to feel more comfortable with an even pace where RL roughly matches in game season, so we've sort of shifted to that.
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." -George Bernard Shaw

"So long as you harbor love for this world, ever shall there be a place for you in it. Your adventures will never end."

valiea987

Fire Wraith Avatar
If I remember correctly...

Book I was some stuff with Bandits that never started/finished, and we skipped ahead. Say 1372. 
Book II was the Shadovar War.  Say Roughly 1373-1374.
Book III was the Drow Plot.  Say Roughly 1375ish.
Book IV was the Whispers.  Say Roughly 1376-77ish.
Book V is where we are now, so 1377+.

Also, we haven't been running at 1:1 time the whole way. The original plan was that RL time would be fluid, and things would vary based on the amount of time spent on a particular story phase, meaning that a "summer" season could last a year or two if it was an important one with lots happening, or we could have things pass quickly when stuff got quiet. But everyone seemed to feel more comfortable with an even pace where RL roughly matches in game season, so we've sort of shifted to that.

Would you be willing to write up a brief description of these chapters? I am currently going through every source I have and making a mega timeline for FR, going from creation to 1372. Then I am going to split it into two sections, one for official lore up to probably 1385 (Spellplague, easy to distinguish what is post-spellplague), and then one for a brief series of CD's timeline.

Lumnakar

Edge Avatar
I've actually wanted to see about putting together a CD Wiki or something... I vaguely recall someone suggesting doing so in the past, but either it never got around to happening or it didn't stick around long if it did.

I sure as heck know I wouldn't mind putting my DM plots and the things my characters have done on there, and I wouldn't mind working with a few volunteers for purposes of quality control and such.

There was a wiki initiative that me and a few others pet-projected years ago. But wikispaces shut it down, so now it's dead.

...Jim...

Dismus

Here is my quick brief synopsis of the ones I remember:

Book 2: A war with the Shadovar. It started slow with skirmishes. Things I remeber specifically as a DM or PC. Certain Harper PCs snuck into the Shadovar camps and stole a bunch of maps and plans and handed them over to the War Wizards. The biggest battle of it all was at Halfhap where the town was destroyed. The most I remember about it was that Victoria Jora and Merisha Lancaster were given Purple Dragon Knight Status after the War and final battle at Halfhap.

Book 3: I missed a bunch of the beginning as it was elven focused for a while and didn't have an elf. I know that at some point at the begining Algon Griff sacrificed himself to prevent a mountain from destroying Suzail. It ended with a major cooperation between the Elves, Eliastreans, Purple Dragon PCs and, certain adventurers in defense of Velethuil and Berrybriar and a counter attack on the Matron. Anivaro and Zander coordinated (probably the hardest and most fun RP of my life) between the groups with many meetings at the Temple of Thundarlun and the Purple Dragon Barracks. Galdern led the Elven mages in a magical defense if I remember right. Anivaro led an assualt on the Matron with elves and adventurers. Zander led the Purple Dragons in an outer defense of Velethuil. Wulgar led the defense of Berrybriar. It ended with the defeat of the Matron and a large celebration afterwards. I am not sure what happened with other pcs but, Zander was given Sha'quessir (spelling) status and Knighted as a Purple Dragon Knight. The biggest take from it all was it was the first united fight against an enemy combining the elves of Velethuil and the adventurers of Cormyr.

Book 4: The whispers screwed everyone up! Was only involved in a handful of things when it directly affected me (not a fan of Far Realm stuff so I avoided it like the plague)

valiea987

Thanks! I'll add that to the list. I am up to the Fifth Crown War on my timeline. Once I am done and up to the split, I'll post it up in a new thread here.