Main Menu

Evilness

Started by carp6, Nov 17, 2015, 06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fire Wraith

Oh I'd absolutely love to see it. It's just difficult, is all :)
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." -George Bernard Shaw

"So long as you harbor love for this world, ever shall there be a place for you in it. Your adventures will never end."

onivel

I certainly will not shy away from evil storylines. I tend to favor individual storylines over large group types. That said, I have been known to do something like this when we had a small Fire Knives group for a time.
" Just take that little voice in your head that tells you to be tactful and understanding and shoot it. Shoot it in the goddamn face. " - Kirito .. Message is brought to you by the Kirito is Always Right Foundation.

Fire Wraith

One thing that usually helps is to have an OOC understanding that it's not fair to actively betray peoples' secrets (at least not without lots of consultation with the staff ahead of time).

The basic theory being, people are inviting you in to join in roleplay and revealing things they might otherwise be more paranoid about, and at the same time, they're not able to perma-kill your character to keep you quiet, so some consideration is required in turn. This doesn't mean people can't quit a group, can't repent/turn good/turn evil/whatever, just that there usually needs to be some figuring out about how to handle that without ruining stuff for others.
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." -George Bernard Shaw

"So long as you harbor love for this world, ever shall there be a place for you in it. Your adventures will never end."

Nokteronoth

I've been decently active on Kimbell lately, need to start writing up stuff for the Red Wizards to get up to. There's 3-4 of us that are on in varying amounts.

~BR

Garage Trashcan

Nokteronoth Avatar
I've been decently active on Kimbell lately, need to start writing up stuff for the Red Wizards to get up to. There's 3-4 of us that are on in varying amounts.

~BR
I've got an evoker RW sitting around I used to play with Red Mage before he was bullied kicked out of the sandbox.
Torsten Solberg - Jovial Jotunkind
Halonya Gabranth - Paladin of Hoar
Alethra Duskmantle - Spoiled Socialite
Retired PCs: Felix Greentrack, Nikolai Mikhailovich

Fire Wraith

Garage Trashcan Avatar
Nokteronoth Avatar

~BR
I've got an evoker RW sitting around I used to play with Red Mage before he was bullied kicked out of the sandbox.
Ahem.

Let's be crystal clear on this.

Red Mage did not agree with the choices that we make in terms of the setting, wanted people to conform to his way of playing things. We wouldn't tolerate that. Eventually he quit the staff, because we didn't agree with his worldview, weren't going to force others to conform to it, and weren't going to let him dictate things to others, though we kept trying to work with him.

He then proceeded to lurk and troll on the forums and in game, nevermind harrassing two of the admins in PMs, until we finally had enough and cut him off from the server.

trylobyte

Garage Trashcan Avatar
kimimaro Avatar
If we can find a way to address all the above Fire, with respect to players and DM/Server capability, would there be interest in supporting such from the DM side of the field?

The only instance I can remember this being close to pulled off was when PCs got involved in a long-going plot thinking it was NPCs behind everythong. When it finally got figured out that it was a PC behind it, it became a metagamey clusterfuck.

Basically,some many people play the game to win instead of have fun, even if it means ruining fun for everyone else.

Granted, that might have never actually happened and I could be making it up. My brain is pretty fried.
Oh no, I remember that one.  That definitely happened.  The metagaming cluster was set off by an OOC comment by a DM being taken ICly once the DM logged off for the sake of forcing a conflict (as one of the players in the quest was feuding with the villainous PC's player) and the whole plot arc wound up crashing and burning because by the time the DM got to address it the metagamed information had spread to half the server and couldn't be contained anymore.

Just one of the risks you run with being an active menace as an evil PC.  It's a rewarding road, but a dangerous one fraught with peril and hidden land mines.

Deleted

Less thread hijackery! :P

If anyone is interested in joining/assisting please contact myself or carp via PM or in game. Thanks.

valiea987

Another thing to note is that Cormyr is renowned Faerun-wide as being one of the most lawful states out there. Cormyr is known for order thanks to Azoun IV. I think the most successful evil force would probably fit as a LE group weaving its way into the politics of the country, something like the Thayans.

Garage Trashcan

valiea987 Avatar
Another thing to note is that Cormyr is renowned Faerun-wide as being one of the most lawful states out there. Cormyr is known for order thanks to Azoun IV. I think the most successful evil force would probably fit as a LE group weaving its way into the politics of the country, something like the Thayans.

That or the Banites. Or possibly a servant of one of the Archdevils. Any LE Big Bad, really.
Torsten Solberg - Jovial Jotunkind
Halonya Gabranth - Paladin of Hoar
Alethra Duskmantle - Spoiled Socialite
Retired PCs: Felix Greentrack, Nikolai Mikhailovich

The longest standing evils on this server, as I've noticed survive by being subtle.  Really, there's no need to be flashy or obvious.  my characters aren't for the most part.

Mystic Warden

Alternatively, you can plan to play a more openly evil character or make such a group but than you should think about how it will end on a fitting way. Consider it a limited lifetime story with a planned closure right from the start.

The same way as the best TV series are usually the ones which know when to stop and end themselves, instead of drawing it out and becoming a bore, losing all their charm and wit they have started with.

I think it is more satisfactory to have a limited lifetime (permakilled/retired) character which was a blast to play and went out in a blaze of dark glory, leaving a lasting mark on the server, than trying to play it indefinitely, at all costs. The later will surely lead to frustration, due to both IC and OOC factors mentioned above.
Sindel Sinul, witch, herbswoman and tarot reader extraordinaire with a strong business sense
Diana Castelli, cute bookworm, arcane nerd, with the 'Weapon focus: book' feat
Vicky DeVille, daddy's princess, conjuring up some trouble
Melinda Moon, merc with a mouth and two tonfa-hilted short swords

Darvins

Fire Wraith Avatar
One thing that usually helps is to have an OOC understanding that it's not fair to actively betray peoples' secrets (at least not without lots of consultation with the staff ahead of time).

The basic theory being, people are inviting you in to join in roleplay and revealing things they might otherwise be more paranoid about, and at the same time, they're not able to perma-kill your character to keep you quiet, so some consideration is required in turn. This doesn't mean people can't quit a group, can't repent/turn good/turn evil/whatever, just that there usually needs to be some figuring out about how to handle that without ruining stuff for others.
Oddly I think it's easier to justify not revealing secrets for a redemption turn than for a Evil turning on Evil split. Odd I know but Evil Turning on Evil is where everyone involved will be looking to destroy the other person and fast. A redemption can have the person changing hoping that those who they worked with, maybe grew close to, will follow them one day. Certainly when Valar turned that was the excuse I used to have her not run around betraying her former allies. 

valiea987

sornduskryn Avatar
The longest standing evils on this server, as I've noticed survive by being subtle.  Really, there's no need to be flashy or obvious.  my characters aren't for the most part.
The only challenge here is finding a way for your character to still be evil. If one is always hiding their evil and pretending to be a decent person, at what point is it no longer an act? That's been a challenge in one of my games since I tend to make games for non-evil aligned parties, and being more adaptable in that regard is something I need to work on.

Deleted

Chiming in on the "no longer an act"...

When they have the option to do an evil act and choose not to for a moral reason.  :)  It's a challenge, and nothing says that evil characters don't have crisis of conscience now and then.