Main Menu

Invisible helmet option

Started by destinysdesire, Dec 14, 2015, 05:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

destinysdesire

Something I think would be popular for chars that would not wear a helmet normally would be the invisible helmet setting, I have seen it on several servers and it is very useful, you would remain seeing the head without seeing the helm 
Loss of empathy might well be the most enduring and deep-cutting scar of all, the silent blade of an unseen emey, tearing at our hearts and stealing more than our strength- Drizzt Do'Urden

onivel

That I would love actually, but I have never seen it successfully done.
" Just take that little voice in your head that tells you to be tactful and understanding and shoot it. Shoot it in the goddamn face. " - Kirito .. Message is brought to you by the Kirito is Always Right Foundation.

destinysdesire

Sinfar has it, so I know it CAN be done, I am just not sure how the scripting is done.
Loss of empathy might well be the most enduring and deep-cutting scar of all, the silent blade of an unseen emey, tearing at our hearts and stealing more than our strength- Drizzt Do'Urden

drakaden

That would be reaaaallllyyyyy nice.

Edge

Sinfar does a LOT of things because they have some really, really awesome scripters. Unfortunately, they're also really protective of their scripts, so we can't usually replicate their stuff. Trust me, the admins have lamented MANY times that Vincent can't get his hands on some of their stuff.

The main problem with invisible helmets is that when equipping a helmet, it replaces your character's entire head. So having an "invisible" helmet, as far as we can manage, would require having helmets shaped like every available head option for your race, then allowing/making sure you colored everything so it matched your character's normal appearance.

Obviously, that's a ton of work just to even make available with the basics, much less to ensure everyone would be able to use it without having to "switch heads" every time they put a helmet on, given how many heads are in our haks, especially for humans and elves.
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.
DM Tiamat | Szuriel | Maedhbh | Cassilda

destinysdesire

I will speak with one of our scripters, see if MAYBE I can get him to consider the hack for the invis helmet at the very least

Vincent07

Most of what Sinfar does is only possible when running on Linux and using their NWNCX alterations.

ie: They won't work on CD without redoing massive segments of the server.

The only other way I've seen this done is to migrate the helm properties to a skin and then force unequip the helmet and make it nodrop.  But this is not a workable solution due to how our subrace system adds everything to the skins already.

Personally, I just don't wear helmets most of the time.

The other option I have considered, is to migrate helmet stats over to cloaks (making a bunch more cloaks to cover various combinations), and then purging stated helms from the module.
"You think any of it matters? The things we did? The lives we destroyed. That's all that's ever gonna count. So, yeah, surprise. You're going to hell. We both are." -Angel

destinysdesire

Sadly the script/plugin Mav uses will not work outside of Sinfar. Or he would.

drakaden

destinysdesire Avatar
Sadly the script/plugin Mav uses will not work outside of Sinfar. Or he would.

Vincent07 Avatar
Dec 14, 2015 11:59:59 GMT -5 Vincent07 said:
Most of what Sinfar does is only possible when running on Linux and using their NWNCX alterations.

The other option I have considered, is to migrate helmet stats over to cloaks (making a bunch more cloaks to cover various combinations), and then purging stated helms from the module.

Then perhaps removing helmet stats and compensating for them in other gear pieces would be a more viable alternative.

Edge

The main problem with that, of course, is that it's a TON of work. Unless there's some process to automate it, which I would have no idea if that could be done or how much work it would involve.
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.

drakaden

Edge Avatar
The main problem with that, of course, is that it's a TON of work. Unless there's some process to automate it, which I would have no idea if that could be done or how much work it would involve.
You are totally correct about that, it demand that every helmets in the game lose what they currently hold (this can be done with a remove properties on log in however), then to add new stats to every tiers of items, however, if Vincent plan to only change the cloaks, it narrow down the work by a -lot-, then it would suffice to check if the blueprint on the player's character is the same as the cloak that got changed, and if both are different, to replace it (That's hoping no custom cloaks use these blueprints)

The delicate thing about it is that those items will never have -equal- compensating stats as it would raise their tiers values too much, and a lot of those stats are best kept on a different gear slot because the gear that would have them would make them less flexible (Simple example i like my thief hood and my +3 universal cloak, but there's null guarantee these stats will go on that specific cloak)

It's a two sides of the coin thing really... I hate having to wear a visible helmet but i like the extra slot for stats. The common way to deal with this is to remove said helmet in safe areas, this might be too much work for too little change.

Vincent07

There's also the issue of those who have custom DM granted helmets that fall outside of what's already in the loot tables.   Most of the helmets worn are either done so for a few stat points, or the spell slots.  There's honestly not a good or simple solution here, which is why it hasn't been altered for now.
"You think any of it matters? The things we did? The lives we destroyed. That's all that's ever gonna count. So, yeah, surprise. You're going to hell. We both are." -Angel

Ryoko Honda

I don't like the idea of gaining the benefit of helmets but not wearing it. Why would you gain the PLUSES of the gear but not have it appear? Just seems silly to me. If you don't want a helmet then don't ware one. It's to me a personal choice.

I've seen a lot of CD Helmets actually give -1 listen, spot. Because that what helmets do. Hinder your perception.

= /

I Think it's doesn't fall in suite with what CD is and personal example. I realized that a lot of items have RP Direction. Like Boxes that are only met for clothing. An item that gives Breathing under water, that your supposed to put in your mouth and not share. I think it's cool, and CD should stick with what they've decided.

I suppose the argument can be made for strip that goes around the head for circlet. Though those items should be very specific imo. 

Edge

Most of the complaints are that people don't like the appearance of helmets. They want to be able to see their character's faces rather than be wearing a face-concealing helm at high levels. The request is more cosmetic than power-based.

Ogre Time Yay

Ya boy Rick James would like that too, Mh! Helmets mess up the jheri curl, baby.
Love ya