Main Menu

Handling long(er) server outages: A small guide.

Started by Arya, Apr 05, 2016, 03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arya

Hey everyone.

Though I am just a player, I feel I am speaking for all concerned when I say patience and enthusiasm has been more than appreciated lately with all the bad timings and strange occurrences in the air. I know it is a bit of a hassle and disruption to people's individual routines when they regularly play on a server and it suddenly goes down. Anyone with any sliver bit of OCD symptoms can definitely feel the 'feels' on this topic (speaking for myself here).

So, I just thought I would come up with a list of options that one can consider for continuing the flow of roleplay that is cherished here. We all know how many creative minds we have when this place is active, so it just requires a small little extra creativity to keep stories going while we wait for a visual return to Cormyr and the Dalelands!

1. In-character posts, or old fashioned play-by-post (PbP). 

Before I ever became immersed in online multiplayers, this was my original medium for gaming only surpassed by real life pen and paper (PnP). It takes time to put these posts together, but those who enjoy writing stories certainly will enjoy this for the while. This can mean an opportunity for making some memorable roleplay posts. You never know: a DM might take interest! 

2. There is a list of Skype contacts in public. This is an opportunity to review this list and make roleplay buddies!

It takes a small bit of coordination, but Skype group conversations are good for having players get together and roleplay a story. Common sense for what can feasibly happen without DM assistance is a given, yet there are a number of scenes and adventures parties can have without in-game compensation or killing a powerful NPC or god. I enjoy doing this even when a server is not down, just so I can catch up on higher priority projects on the side! 

3. Catch up on non-NWN games for a few days.

Many have Steam. I am going to echo what someone said already and say this is another opportunity for finishing up games, or binge-playing new ones for those with time on their hands. (I know I certainly am not among the latter.) 

Thank you for your time, energy, and patience these past few weeks! I look forward to seeing the lot of you once all is resolved! 

Much good wishes,
Arya
"I will break the chains of our past, the hold of Empires my ancestors swore against. My sins began with him, they will end with me, Seldarine witness to my defiance!" -- Daeatria Ravenshadow

"Our failings did not mean no Dream was. Some fought for it, many died for it." --Kan'itae Ravenshadow

ladybug

4. Sacrifice a virgin to Comcast to bring it back. In an emergency, virgin olive oil can work but tends to leave an odd aftertaste in the wifi.
SDM Sto Helit

When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - C. S. Lewis

goodapollo

Free to Play games I'd recommend, for bored people:
Warframe - Farmy FPS
GW2 - Farmy MMORPG
Path of Exile - Farmy Diabloclone

Ogre Time Yay

Kymus

Arya Kalarathri Avatar
3. Catch up on non-NWN games for a few days.

I have no idea what that even is. Games outside of NWN? Blasphemy!  ??? :o O_o >:D :-[ :-S :D

FaeFae

Instructions were unclear. Got hand caught in blender.

ladybug

SDM Sto Helit

When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - C. S. Lewis

Garage Trashcan

6. Hit up Roll20 and run through some D&D Adventure League adventures. Get your characters leveled up for that local con you're dying to go to!
Torsten Solberg - Jovial Jotunkind
Halonya Gabranth - Paladin of Hoar
Alethra Duskmantle - Spoiled Socialite
Retired PCs: Felix Greentrack, Nikolai Mikhailovich

whitespirit

I see much goodwill and willingness to help and share what works for you in your post. Thank you for the positivity :)

Ryoko Honda

I really miss logging in. :*( Hehe. I do miss all of you my new friends. I hope your enjoying the art work I have purchased for my character too!

As for what I've been up too? I've been just spending more time with my husband, and chatting on skype. As well as some additional attention to my pen and paper campaign that I play on Mondays.

Edge

Playing Pokemon Black2. Skyla's gym was created by a psychopath to drive players to murder. Stupid wind physics.

Also playing Castle Crashers with Ladybug. Very cathartic.
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.
DM Tiamat | Szuriel | Maedhbh | Cassilda

Remmy

While the server has been down I have been playing the new expansion for Baldurs Gate 1, Siege of Dragonspear. It is pretty interesting so far.

Also Battlefleet Gothic: Armada, a Warhammer 40k spaceship RTS in beta. It is very fun, though still has some balance issues and features to be added before its April 21st release. Eldar are likely to be added tomorrow or Friday.

whangdoodle

I can vouche that it is... look up fuzzypinkunicorns666 on steam if anyone wants to play.

WAAAAGH!

Eldar aren't in the game yet though for testing. However- the orks are fun as heck. Just ramming and boarding everything.

thorien

Teehee, looks really neat. I had a chance to play miniature BFG and it was fun! Also, suits my current Rogue Trader P&P campaign. <.<

Praise the Emperor and strike down his foes!