Main Menu

Class racial restriction

Started by Yaldabaoth, Jan 11, 2014, 07:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carp6

I don't want to start a fight or a flame on here...but if that is our idea for opening up PRCs and certain ones....then why don't we just open up all the PRCs for any racial type to use...so that way we will open up more of an ability to create a fully functional combat-oriented prestige classes.  We should open up Bladesinger....and Dwarven Battlerager...... Barbarians could really use Battlerager....however, I do not know what Vincent plans on doing with barbarian though.  However, this is just my opionion on the matter so don't take it as an attack just an observation...

Vincent07

DD and AA will be renamed and their descriptions changed to reflect these alterations.

I chose to leave Bladesinger as it is, as it is one of the classes we still lock due to IC restrictions.  Also, there is Eldritch Knight and Spellsword for the non-elves who want that type of class.

Battlerager is a good class, but in part I think that unlocking it would mean just about any barbarian would take it.  I would like to instead make Barbarian worth taking on its own.  It is also just a very dwarven thing.  I don't know, we'll see.

Part of the reason behind unlocking DD and AA is that they provide things that are not available anywhere else. (A good archer class, and a durable tanky class.)  As I mentioned before, due to the black boxing of combat related things, I can't just copy these toys over to a new class.

As to what Barbarian will be getting:  Likely Toughness for free, and longer duration on Rage.  Probably an extra attack and fear immunity while raging added at various levels.  Perhaps immunity to fear constantly at some point.  Still working out the details. Before anyone asks, I can't alter their DR without significant work and so will not do so.  I will likely be increasing the uses/day of Rage.
"You think any of it matters? The things we did? The lives we destroyed. That's all that's ever gonna count. So, yeah, surprise. You're going to hell. We both are." -Angel

Not Batman

germanblangs Avatar
While we are releasing the secrets of dwarven and elven war colleges to the lesser races, why don't we do away with alignment restrictions too?

Dwarves get DD because they are tough as all holy hell and train for decades underground in full plate to get that distinction.  It's perverse to think humans could ever do that.

But why not?  I think halflings are just as tough as dwarves, and elves are by far superior when it comes to being a dwarven defender.
To be fair, German, Dwarven Defender is nothing that no one else can't do, especially when we have 90+ characters running around with higher con than the standard dwarves get (and DR too).

As for Arcane Archer, it's...also something that can be figured out and emulated well. Hell, there are several classes in DnD that give similar abilities to Arcane Archer already (Spellsword just of the top of my head).

Deleted

As a note, Arcane Archer in Pathfinder is open to all races.

Masque

And it also features a class called Stalwart Defender which looks a little bit familiar . . .

www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/s-z/stalwart-defender

Edge

Arcane Archer probably doesn't need a rename - given it's what it does and doesn't have a reference to elves in it - but I presume Dwarven Defender will be renamed to its racial-neutral Pathfinder name of Stalwart Defender?

EDIT: Or I could not notice there's a second page and get ninja'd by Masque.
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.
DM Tiamat | Szuriel | Maedhbh | Cassilda

Masque

On another note is there any plans to generalise some of the very faction specific PRCs? I noticed the other day how many PRCs this server actually has it always felt a shame that very few of them are used.

Garage Trashcan

You know, I've always wanted a Purple Dragon Knight/Red Wizard of Thay/Drow Judicator.
Torsten Solberg - Jovial Jotunkind
Halonya Gabranth - Paladin of Hoar
Alethra Duskmantle - Spoiled Socialite
Retired PCs: Felix Greentrack, Nikolai Mikhailovich

Masque

I think the idea is to disassociate it from very niche and specific fluff and allow a greater depth of ideas and combinations. I think some classes are so very very specific to that niche it would be impossible to do so such with Drow Judicator and Red Wizard (because circle magic is a thing only a few groups can do).

Purple Dragon Knight however perfectly fits the gist of what I am aiming at - the class itself does not make you a better Purple Dragon Knight. Being a Purple Dragon Knight is an RP construction that is not enabled by mechanical abilities. To put it another way the world would treat a Fighter or a Paladin Purple Dragon Knight the same way it would treat a Fighter that PRC'ed into Purple Dragon Knight (the class).

You could rename it to simply 'Knight' or 'Commander' and it would allow more types of builds and character concepts without taking away from those who want to play inspirational Purple Dragons.

Fire Wraith

That's probably not a bad suggestion, Masque.  It resolves a lot of the issues with people wanting to take levels in the class before being granted formal RP recognition, and there really aren't any powers in there that are or ought to be dependent on being in the organization in the way that you can't really learn Red Wizardy stuff without being, y'know, an actual Red Wizard or RW in training, for instance.

That would probably be the dividing line for what could be made generic and what can't.
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." -George Bernard Shaw

"So long as you harbor love for this world, ever shall there be a place for you in it. Your adventures will never end."

The Red Mage

Make sure you check people who have the tatoo focus feat without being a Red Wizard or Thayan. Those two things are requirements for the feat, though I believe I have seen two characters have it without meeting either requirement.

Masque

The feat as listed comes up as a general feat and makes no mention to the fact it is faction locked. That is not to say your incorrect it is just very easy to not be aware of it. Requiem for example has it and while I can attest to him being many things Red Wizard or Thayan are certainly not on that list. The reason for this being I was not aware it is specifically for the above mentioned people.

The Red Mage

I'm not sure if it is in the feat's description on the server or not anymore.

SOC_Tessa

(bump)

Would it be possible to get a status update on where the 2DA/HAK changes are for DD and AA?

Forgive the annoying fly buzzing constant inquiries - just excited to change up a melee build of mine.

Edge

These will be put in at the same time as the rest of the hak update, which will probably include Warlock and Swordmage. At the moment, the ETA for all that is "when it gets done".

As has always been server policy, when new content is added players who feel it is more suited to their characters than prior available options will be generally allowed to rebuild or remake.
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.
DM Tiamat | Szuriel | Maedhbh | Cassilda