Main Menu

Class racial restriction

Started by Yaldabaoth, Jan 11, 2014, 07:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yaldabaoth

I recall there being a thread on the old forums, wherein Vincent threw out the possibility of opening up Dwarven Defender and Arcane Archer to all races.  Was any decision made in this regard?  I'm ambivalent about AA, but I would really, really like to see DD opened up for other races.

Garage Trashcan

If I recall correctly, DD was gonna get opened up but AA was not. These changes would come in the ever-mythical HAK update with Swordmage that has been whispered on the lips of wise men for centuries.
Torsten Solberg - Jovial Jotunkind
Halonya Gabranth - Paladin of Hoar
Alethra Duskmantle - Spoiled Socialite
Retired PCs: Felix Greentrack, Nikolai Mikhailovich

carp6

I think that AA should be open up as well if DD is going to be.....to keep things fair but that's just my opinion

Ogre Time Yay

Yeah, I've been keeping an eye on this as well for the whole DD thing, gonna go ahead and put my vote in for AA also being for everyone.

Not Batman

Both classes will be opened up to all races

Vincent07

I will likely be opening up both, just to provide more options.  

Barbarians are also going to get some love.
"You think any of it matters? The things we did? The lives we destroyed. That's all that's ever gonna count. So, yeah, surprise. You're going to hell. We both are." -Angel

Garage Trashcan

Vincent07 Avatar
I will likely be opening up both, just to provide more options.  

Barbarians are also going to get some love.
I'm going to require your shipping address and preferred brand of brew.

But can we get an ETA on this? I think most of us would rather have what's already complete thrown in than all the extra bells and whistles that can wait.

Vincent07

When I have time.  I work full time and have school on top of that.

Most of the core stuff is done, though I do have to test a few things in regards to appearances and things added in.

A fair bit of .2da work and some .tlk work remains.
Off the top of my head:
Still need to fix spell school issues in spells.2da, in addition to finishing new entries for classes and spells
Fix crafting issues in the various craft related .2das and add the new content
Edits/changes to a number of epic spells (removing some we don't use, adding new ones) [this may wait]
Class changes mentioned above (very quick fixes there)
Remaining .2da files for Swordmage and Tempest additions.
.tlk lines for all new feats/spells/classes/etc.  Description fixes for a number of existing spells/abilities.

Now for those who've never done it, this is a LOT of tedious text entry.
Then of course there is a lot of testing. I've put in 3-4 tilesets, numerous item appearances (shields), over 500 creature appearances, a handful of heads and clothing parts etc.  Most of this needs a quick visual rundown.
"You think any of it matters? The things we did? The lives we destroyed. That's all that's ever gonna count. So, yeah, surprise. You're going to hell. We both are." -Angel

Garage Trashcan

Translation: A lot of work, time and effort, that we are ever grateful for because Vince is literally the only person we have who can still do it. (I apparently lost track of the number of projects that kept getting thrown in).

Translation: Don't get excited any time soon, folks.

Vincent07

I have a 3 month break from school in March due to scheduling conflicts.

It will be finished before I resume class.

Edit: And those 500 new appearances, don't count the few hundred I replaced as well. I added -ALL- of the Project Q creatures.
I've also re-organized our entire hak set.

Fire Wraith

There will also be an update to the head models released shortly, since that's not dependent on 2da editing.
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." -George Bernard Shaw

"So long as you harbor love for this world, ever shall there be a place for you in it. Your adventures will never end."

germanblangs

While we are releasing the secrets of dwarven and elven war colleges to the lesser races, why don't we do away with alignment restrictions too?

Dwarves get DD because they are tough as all holy hell and train for decades underground in full plate to get that distinction.  It's perverse to think humans could ever do that.

But why not?  I think halflings are just as tough as dwarves, and elves are by far superior when it comes to being a dwarven defender.

Garage Trashcan

I believe alignment restrictions were being opened on DD. And you elves with your pitiful -2 CON can't survive a gentle breeze :P

Vincent07

It's called House Rules.

Both classes will be renamed as well. Alignment restrictions may be adjusted.  It is being done to offer more variety, as their abilities can not be duplicated to other classes.  If you wish to RP they are still the restrictive classes they currently are, do so.

Fire Wraith

Yes, essentially it's us taking the class mechanics and altering the associated lore to let us use it more broadly, since we're highly limited in our ability to create fully functional combat-oriented prestige classes.
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." -George Bernard Shaw

"So long as you harbor love for this world, ever shall there be a place for you in it. Your adventures will never end."