Main Menu

Half-Elves

Started by Yaldabaoth, Aug 02, 2017, 04:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FaeFae

I'd suggest Elf Weapon Proficiency or +2 persuade/sense motive/search on skin to represent their PnP benefits.

Edge

They already get the search bonus, as well as a spot and listen bonus, but I'd forgotten they also were supposed to get other racial skills. It's not much but it is probably something they should be having.

Not sure that would be enough to call it a proper equalization, still leaving them relatively subpar compared to all the other races, but it's a step in the right direction.
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.
DM Tiamat | Szuriel | Maedhbh | Cassilda

Yaldabaoth

Edge Avatar
They already get the search bonus, as well as a spot and listen bonus, but I'd forgotten they also were supposed to get other racial skills. It's not much but it is probably something they should be having.

Not sure that would be enough to call it a proper equalization, still leaving them relatively subpar compared to all the other races, but it's a step in the right direction.
An inferior spot/listen bonus.  +1 instead of +2.

LaceAndLeather

What about Silver Palm, to represent the above mentioned PnP balance...? Or would that cause issues as a 1st-level feat?

lurkerabove

Edge Avatar
The skillpoints thing is a flat out no-go, as you'd have to have a leto or conversation with an npc every level, and we'd have to figure out some way of ensuring it isn't grabbed twice for the same level or anything like that. Not worth the hassle.

Adding feats is a bit easier, but it's ultimately a Vincent call.

I only meant for the initial +4 skill points as an option. They aren't human, thus the choice to have the initial +4 skill points to start could reflect that.

Since skill focus is a flat, all for one +3 to a skill, I could see 4 additional flexible points at creation to be worth a choice vs. a feat.

Edge

I'm personally not a fan of giving out extra skill points at a one-time-only situation. If they're not getting them every level, I'm not wanting to give them at all.

EDIT: To explain a bit better at a time when it's not midnight and I'm not in the process of heading to bed....

The thing that makes the human skill point bonus so good is that it comes at every level. You get the bonus 4 at level 1 because everything at level 1 is multiplied by 4 in 3.5. This allows you to max out a skill that you might not have touched or might have only dabbled in with another race, or to dabble into one or more extra skills over the course of your leveling.

Giving half-elves a one time bonus of 4 skill points is a bad idea for two reasons - one it gives them at level 1, where you can only put a maximum of 4 points in any skill, so the ability to dabble is preemptively extremely limited, and two it sets a precedent that later levels will not meet, leading to confusion about why extra skill points were gained at first level but never show up again.

As for comparing them to Skill Focus.... it's not equivalent at all, actually. The bonus of Skill Focus is that, like any other feat or any items, it goes above the limitations of ranks in a skill for your level. Say for example you put Skill Focus (Hide) on a roguish character, then max out your Hide skill at level 1; that gives you, before stats, item bonuses, and penalties, a +7 to your Hide score. (4 max ranks + 3 from Skill Focus.) Trying to do the same with bonus skill points is not possible because of the limitations of spending points per level; you'd be limited to the +4 granted from ranks alone.

The other benefit of Skill Focus is that it lets some characters get a leg up toward prereqs at a later point, much like a Human bonus feat often does. For example, a would-be Half-Elf Archmage suddenly has a free feat toward their PrC, as Skill Focus (Spellcraft) is a requirement for the class. This is something, obviously, that a handful of bonus skill points won't do.

The long and short of it is that just handing Half-Elves a one-time bonus of 4 skill points isn't a very good compromise for a handful of reasons. I think we can find a much better solution to improving them.
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.

eldwen

I'll stick my hat into this one.

So we have multiple sub-races now for the half-elves, would it be uncalled for to give them a +2 stat boost depending on their choice of sub-race?

This would give them the position of being the only standard race that gets a +2 with no 'downside' stat, but since other races also get other serious goodies (humans get the feats and skills, halflings get small sized, lucky, the possibility even of a bonus feat, elves proficiency and keen senses, etc...)

Here would be a basic suggestion for it.

Wild half-elf: +2 Str
Wood half-elf: +2 Dex
Sun half-elf: +2 Int
Moon Half-elf: +2 Cha

With everything else staying the same, this I think 'bumps' half-elf mechanically into being viable; however, I'll shoot my own foot here and say I'm playing a Half-elf right now, and I don't really feel all that gimped, really when it comes down to it I pick a race based on backstory and not stats. Without any changes I'd still consider half-elves fine.

Edge

My one complaint with this suggestion, all balance and such issues aside, is that the stat bonuses should probably stick to what their full-elven counterpart gets. Meaning Moon Half-Elf would be the one to get the +2 Dex, as the Moon Elf stats are +2 DEX, -2 CON.

Wood Half-Elf would get +2 STR or DEX (Wood Elf is +2 STR, +2 DEX, –2 INT, –2 CON).

Wild Half-Elf would get +2 DEX as well (Wild Elf is +2 DEX, -2 INT).

eldwen

My bad, was trying only to spread out the possible stats - and I wasn't exactly using references up above.

More pitching the idea to put that train of thought in the discussion.

Fire Wraith

If we did something on the lines of stat boosts, I think a +1 would probably fit better, if we weren't giving them a negative. +1 would at least be useful, though without being so much so that everyone starts wanting to play them instead of various other ECL0 or 1 races that feature a +2 boost.
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." -George Bernard Shaw

"So long as you harbor love for this world, ever shall there be a place for you in it. Your adventures will never end."

Yaldabaoth

Fire Wraith Avatar
If we did something on the lines of stat boosts, I think a +1 would probably fit better, if we weren't giving them a negative. +1 would at least be useful, though without being so much so that everyone starts wanting to play them instead of various other ECL0 or 1 races that feature a +2 boost.
I'm not personally opposed to odd numbered stat boosts, but there is a reason the 3.x designers avoided them.  Because the modifiers only increase or decrease on even numbered stats, it's slightly easier to cheese with odd numbered boosts.  For example, turning a 17 str and 9 cha into 18 str and 8 cha respectively is all benefit and no downside.  That said, with the plethora of templates available, there's much crazier things that can be achieved.

Mystic Warden

Having a +1 on a chosen stat is not bad on the long run, as a PC gets total +5 stat points before the epic levels (at lvl 4,8,12,16,and 20), so with the racial +1 it gets +6 which is +3 in ability modifiers (if all of them is heaped on one stat).

A +2 modifier on a stat is an immediate boost, a +1 is a boost in the long run.
Sindel Sinul, witch, herbswoman and tarot reader extraordinaire with a strong business sense
Diana Castelli, cute bookworm, arcane nerd, with the 'Weapon focus: book' feat
Vicky DeVille, daddy's princess, conjuring up some trouble
Melinda Moon, merc with a mouth and two tonfa-hilted short swords

hjorrprimul

As a person who loves half-elves, I'd love for this to be a thing. I've played them a fair bit, but it was always a choice to be sub-optimal, giving up raw character power or usefulness in exchange for the benefit of getting to RP one of the most interesting races in the multiverse.

The +1 stat boni would be excellent, if it can be done without investing time from DMs. If all elven races are considered, there would be options for most stats, with the only exceptions being Wisdom and Constitution. Of course Sun- and Star- elves tend not to make half-elves, but at that point it is up to a player to come up with a good background.

On that subject, by the 1380s Sildeyuir should be close to total collapse and the Star Elves having to flee back to Aglarond in increasing numbers? Just - random lore fridge moment here.

Edge

As that's lore after our cutoff date (DR 1372) we ignore it. Sildeyuir will hang in there until we decide otherwise, preferably when a DM gets a good idea for a plot or event tied to it.

hjorrprimul

That does sound way cooler than just saying "it's slowly going poof between scenes"