Main Menu

Elder Scrolls Online

Started by Vincent07, Jan 30, 2014, 06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vincent07

I know what I'm doing in April.

Part 1:

Part 2:
"You think any of it matters? The things we did? The lives we destroyed. That's all that's ever gonna count. So, yeah, surprise. You're going to hell. We both are." -Angel

Garage Trashcan

My title for ESO: Disappointment in a Box.

Too much MMO, not enough Elder Scrolls.
Torsten Solberg - Jovial Jotunkind
Halonya Gabranth - Paladin of Hoar
Alethra Duskmantle - Spoiled Socialite
Retired PCs: Felix Greentrack, Nikolai Mikhailovich

Vincent07

Well, it's an MMO. Not TES VI.  
"You think any of it matters? The things we did? The lives we destroyed. That's all that's ever gonna count. So, yeah, surprise. You're going to hell. We both are." -Angel

autumnheart

I got into the beta for a bit.  It was fun until they made you grind =/

my hope for next gen MMO's is with EQ Next

trylobyte

Pretty risky move, I think.  MMOs spawned from single-player franchises have a long, storied tradition of destroying the lore of those franchises - Ultima Online, World of Warcraft, The Old Republic, etc.  What makes ESO an especially ballsy gamble is the fact the Elder Scrolls series is renowned for its lore, the very thing they stand a very high probability of shattering into tiny pieces.  We'll see how it goes.

Vincent07

I think they've mitigated some of that by setting the game a few hundred years in the past.  But we'll see.

Not Batman

FUS RO Don't fuck up this franchise.

SOC_Tessa

I tried out the weekend beta I received a few weeks back and was thoroughly underwhelmed. A few hours later at level 3, I quit and didn't look back. Found it generic and uninspired.

Ghooooost

SOC_Tessa Avatar
I tried out the weekend beta I received a few weeks back and was thoroughly underwhelmed. A few hours later at level 3, I quit and didn't look back. Found it generic and uninspired.
I couldn't even get into the Beta with my key. I applied for a ticket to get it resolved and they didn't respond to it until AFTER the beta was done with.

My friend had better luck getting into the game. Logging in, I mean. He kept crashing on character creation.

Wooooh.

The Red Mage

I can't play a subscription based MMO or a traditional MMO anymore after GW2. I'll keep playing it and hearthstone until Planetside 2 drops for the ps4, I think.

Garage Trashcan

They're not catering to ES fans, they're catering to MMO fans. That's the problem. They could have easily done both, but they didn't. Honestly the Borderlands/Diablo Lobby-style where you just play with a few friends at a time would be absolutely great for an ES game. The sub model kills the single-player mentality of the ES games. There's a reason ZeniMax is making the game and not Bethesda--If the game totally flops, Bethesda doesn't take the loss. It's the same reason Tencent is making Monster Hunter Online instead of Capcom.
Torsten Solberg - Jovial Jotunkind
Halonya Gabranth - Paladin of Hoar
Alethra Duskmantle - Spoiled Socialite
Retired PCs: Felix Greentrack, Nikolai Mikhailovich

Vincent07

Well, since GW2 can't hold my interest, I need a new MMO until EQN shows up.

The Red Mage

I think it's worth the try just to experience it. I have a feeling it's going to pull a Neverwinter and try to be a better version of Gw2(and probably will fail), but it's worth the shot at least.

Final Fantasy XIV pretty much nails the old school MMO feel with a new-age look, imo. It's basically GW2's dynamic events, WoW's simple dps rotations/ tanking, with a fanserving, final fantasy, social aesthetic. There's plenty of grinding.  Your character can be every class if you want so you don't have to be an altoholic anymore. And you get a free 30 days of play when you buy the game, so it may be worth checking out in the meantime. I was really close to buying it, but my friend told me, "Dude, fuck that. It has guys with cat ears or something," and well, who can argue with that?

shotgunbunny

I honestly think this MMO was the dumbest idea they could have had. I mean, how could they possible have thought that this was a good idea while the regular TES games would be so amazing with even some basic LAN support or such? If they'd throw in the option to mess around with some friends in Skyrim, I'd be all over it.

There's this Skyrim Online mod in the works, and it's at an extremely early stage. However, if it takes off, I'm hoping we'll see something not unlike NWN take shape.

The Red Mage

I'm more excited about the far away EQ:Next game. I just hope they don't make it pay to win.