Main Menu

The Codex Alera

Started by The Red Mage, Feb 06, 2014, 10:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Red Mage

So I started reading Jim Butcher's other series The Codex Alera, and I just finished the first book. It's pretty interesting to me, but I'm not sure if I want to get the second one or not. Has anyone here delved into the series, and what are your opinions?

Darvins

I suppose it depends on the why there, why the doubt. I enjoyed the series muchly and while I'd say Dresden  is the better series  Alera does benefit from being finished and shorter. Besides the how he came up the concept for the series is funny. He was challenged by a friend, to make up a series that combined Pokemon and Romans, so he did, then he looked at at and went. 'Huh I like that.'

And wow so many mistakes there I think I was temporary taken over by  some strange force of bad typing.

Deleted

Edge has read the whole series, iirc.

The Red Mage

I liked the characters, the setting, and how he handled magic, I just really dislike how he writes sexual scenes or attraction between characters. I suppose it's just hyper masculine(big guy, small chick), and there's never any same sex relationships that's not for comedic purposes that I can relate with. I was wondering if the relationships between the characters start to take forefront in the subsequent novels, because I don't know if I can handle much more of that, and it seems like it set up a lot of possible relationships.

Garage Trashcan

I still have yet to touch the series. I love Dresden, though.

I just picked up The Name of the Wind (Patrick Rothfuss) after being recommended it for years. I'm not too far into it, but I'm really enjoying Rothfuss's writing style.
Torsten Solberg - Jovial Jotunkind
Halonya Gabranth - Paladin of Hoar
Alethra Duskmantle - Spoiled Socialite
Retired PCs: Felix Greentrack, Nikolai Mikhailovich

Edge

I have read the whole series, and as someone who doesn't like a whole lot of romance in his stories, I wasn't too bothered by the attraction between the characters distracting from the rest of the story. I don't recall any same-sex couples.

I found the series very fun and very enjoyable, and highly recommend it.
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.
DM Tiamat | Szuriel | Maedhbh | Cassilda