Main Menu

Remove OOC information

Started by Atomic Twinkie, May 30, 2014, 01:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atomic Twinkie

It seems the majority are in favour of this. Shall I acquire the means to do it?

Deleted

Just because some of us aren't commenting doesn't mean we are in favor of it.  (This forum is not a "voting" forum.  It's to suggest ideas and discuss them.  The final decision is the admins.)

I am in favor of removing login classes/levels.

I am ambivalent about removing spells/effects from the description.

I am not in favor of removing the challenge rating.  Listing it in the character description does NOT provide a way to check monster CR, unless you want to volunteer to go through every area, every spawn, and add it in their descriptions.

Also note that if you're going to remove the challenge rating, you need to disable the /listpcs function (which lists character level as well).

Atomic Twinkie

Oh, I know it's not a voting forum and it's down to the admins and everything! I figured I'd just try and help them out a little bit by getting the stuff in case they did want to do it! Basically providing the means for them :)

Fire Wraith

Honestly, as a mage, I haven't found that having the effects list has really helped me, ever.  I also think that we should probably look at re-implementing various visual effects for certain key wards, or even using less graphically intensive replacements - for instance, we replaced the old premonition VFX with the default "see invis/etc" vfx.  Truesight instead gives you glowing blue eyes, etc.

So that said, here's a question for everyone - what effects do you consider to be critical enough to deserve a VFX that's easily seen?  Furthermore, are there any that currently have one, that you think should change?
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." -George Bernard Shaw

"So long as you harbor love for this world, ever shall there be a place for you in it. Your adventures will never end."

Fire Wraith

As far as a way to suppress the level display from the character login screen, I'd certainly be interested if you know of how it's done.  I know it can be done, I just don't know what it requires or how difficult it is to do.
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." -George Bernard Shaw

"So long as you harbor love for this world, ever shall there be a place for you in it. Your adventures will never end."

Atomic Twinkie

I will get you the information required FW! ^^

Darvins

I think the most important ones that need a Vis are ones that can be worn away, especially Death Ward, since it was changed to now be one that can fade when the prot from neg energy is chipped away at, it would be handy to have a visual affect in place to let you know when that is, because Death Ward is a spell that when you need it... you reallly need it. Ones with a preset duration are less important, so spells like Barkskin and the animals can stay as they are, it's the ones that can be chipped away at.

oarthias

Frankly I thought it nice that most of them can't be seen anymore. Less christmas tree glowing on my screen which causes lag city.

goodapollo

The only ones I can think of are things that create auras- Battletide and the like.

Fire Wraith

We definitely don't want to go back to full christmas-tree effects, hence the focus on what people think is really needed/critical to know about (such as Death Ward).

Arya

I am glad to come back to this thread about a discussion on something that seems like it might lead to a good compromise and address as many people's concerns as possible.  Thank you Bushy_Fro! Thank you Fire Wraith! This made my day after the time spent in the waiting room.

Sincerely,
Arya
"I will break the chains of our past, the hold of Empires my ancestors swore against. My sins began with him, they will end with me, Seldarine witness to my defiance!" -- Daeatria Ravenshadow

"Our failings did not mean no Dream was. Some fought for it, many died for it." --Kan'itae Ravenshadow

Yaldabaoth

As much as I really hate texture replacement buffs, like old stoneskin and barkskin, some sort of visual marker for stoneskin would be very helpful.  Also, while the Protection From Elements series, Protection From Magical Energy, Protection From Arrows etc never had a visual effect, I would like to have some way of telling that they are or are not still up.

I would really like to see Magic Circle against Alignment go away, incidentally, with it's obnoxious landing lights.

Deleted

Would it be possible to have some sort of notice (private/tell perhaps) show up when a buff wears off/is dispelled?

goodapollo

That'd be better for specific ones like death ward and.. pretty much just that, otherwise it'd get kind of annoying, wouldn't it?

Fire Wraith

Just to note, Effects have been removed from Examine.  CR is still listed, at present.