Main Menu

Great Shout

Started by Melody, Jan 07, 2021, 04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melody

After testing Great Shout for a while, I've discovered that its Stun effect only lasts 1 round. This is far shorter than the 1 Round/level that it lists on the spell. I'm unsure if that's broken or not, but I'd recommend it last longer than that, especially since the caster carries the risk of being knocked down for 1 Turn (10 rounds!), which is an incredibly long time in combat. It also causes 2d6 points of damage to the caster and 2d10 damage to enemies (or 1d10 on a save).

As is, it is currently a "nearly worthless" spell. Recommend adjustment so that it's useful again!

If I could make a specific comparison, War Cry is a level 4 Bard spell and is the same level as Great Shout. As implemented, War Cry is a 4 round AoE Fear effect and also gives +2 AB/+2 Damage for 1 round/level. It has no drawbacks.

I would recommend changing Great Shout to a 1d4 round AoE Stun effect with 1 round/level Deafness. Simply remove the self-knockdown effect that lasts for a whole turn because that's honestly insane and keep the self-damage effect and 2d10 damage on hit.
"Hello, dashings and darlings!" - Melody