Main Menu

Invisible Blade/Throwing Knives

Started by jamaisvu, May 24, 2014, 07:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atomic Twinkie

I wonder if invisible blade would work with throwing axes. That'd just be... swell.

Garage Trashcan

It wouldn't, because they're not one of the weapons. But yes, that would be swell.
Torsten Solberg - Jovial Jotunkind
Halonya Gabranth - Paladin of Hoar
Alethra Duskmantle - Spoiled Socialite
Retired PCs: Felix Greentrack, Nikolai Mikhailovich

alreadydead

I'm currently building for a halfling Rogue/SD/Invisiblade. She'll be using throwing knives as her ranged option because of no bow proficiency besides the equally questionable crossbow.

Garage Trashcan

Rogues get proficiency in Shortbows.

darthweasel

alreadydead Avatar
I'm currently building for a halfling Rogue/SD/Invisiblade. She'll be using throwing knives as her ranged option because of no bow proficiency besides the equally questionable crossbow.
Xbow+ rogue+ rapid reload = awesomeness.

explosiverunes

darthweasel Avatar
alreadydead Avatar
Xbow+ rogue+ rapid reload = awesomeness.

This is certainly true, although, the build I mentioned leaves me pretty damned feat starved as is. Using darts is not without its advantages over bows, especially when used by an Invisible Blade, allowing them to retain their AC bonus and also activating their Wounding proc. That's not to say bows wouldn't be superior, but throwing isn't without its merits.

darthweasel

Oh throwing is quite useful.

You get the str bonus of your PC for one so on average it's a 1d4 +2 (I assume a str of 14 for normal)

Yaldabaoth

Another point in favor of throwing weapons.  Halflings get +1 attack bonus with all thrown weapons (including slings).

jamaisvu

I've found that Invisible Blade is incredibly hard-hitting, if somewhat intensive to play. Lots of weapon switching. Hope your character goes well, though!

Garage Trashcan

You can also get GMW and Elemental Weapon cast on thrown weapons.

Masque

Throwing Weapons are out-right superior to projectile throwers (Bows, Slings and Crossbows) due to the unlimited Mighty property i.e. add your full strength value to the damage. You can also use a shield with them (although in conjunction with this build you wouldn't use one) which makes you a harder target to hit if your front-line is broken.

A strength Ranger build dual wielding Kurki's with darts as a back up weapon would be pretty brutal just off the top of my head.