Main Menu

Half-orcs

Started by goodapollo, Jun 11, 2014, 12:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

goodapollo

Do they require a request? I can't find anything about them needing them on the request board, but making one IG it says so.

Garage Trashcan

Previously they did, but they no longer do given the fact that they can hide out in the Underdark. It's still advised that you cover up in Arabel, at least.
Torsten Solberg - Jovial Jotunkind
Halonya Gabranth - Paladin of Hoar
Alethra Duskmantle - Spoiled Socialite
Retired PCs: Felix Greentrack, Nikolai Mikhailovich

The Red Mage

You don't want to play one. You're better off playing something really wicked and evil, and you can likely still walk around with more freedom/ attract less ire than playing a half-orc here.

modronlove

I actually have a half Orc ranger of mielikki.   From experience it got a bit lonely hanging out in the hullack all the time, so I wound up shelving him.  The hullack wasn't as busy back at the time though.  

jixjum

Just put some wings on your Half-Orc and everyone will accept you.

goodapollo

I'm guesshoping that's a joke.
That's a joke, right? That wont work?

Valimar Dragonbane

From my memory, we've had two relatively accepted half-orcs that dwelled around Arabel.  One of them tended to live out at the orphanage and the other was fairly soft-spoken.  Both names escape me at present.
Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

A diplomat... is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you actually look forward to the trip. - Caskie Stinnett

Adventure is just bad planning. - Roald Amundsen

Garage Trashcan

jixjum Avatar
As much as I want this to be a joke...*shudders*

One was Thaddeus, I know that much. Then there was... Red Mage's Half-Orc who became a Purple Dragon...but he hasn't been played in years...and didn't he kill himself with a hammer or something?
Torsten Solberg - Jovial Jotunkind
Halonya Gabranth - Paladin of Hoar
Alethra Duskmantle - Spoiled Socialite
Retired PCs: Felix Greentrack, Nikolai Mikhailovich

goodapollo

Wowsers. Although, that gives me an idea.

Arya

The unwarranted snark about exotic races aside...

Half-orcs used to be more frowned upon than some of the stranger races that are about in Arabel.  Thanks to some roleplay from a few of them, there is -some- level of acceptance, but still as much hostility as there would be toward a drow in Silverymoon (just all but a few drow are outlawed in Silverymoon).  There had been confusion a number of time on what is considered accepted and what is not in Arabel (and by extension, Cormyr), and to what degree.  This has been cleared up in a post made by the admins in the past few months.  You can find the thread here.

forums.cormyrdalelands.com/index.php?topic=1169

This thread was made after a number of ambiguous situations where someone played something openly and received consequences of one degree or another.  

It is also safe to say that Arabel, for better or worse, will be more tolerant than the rest of Cormyr.  

Sincerely,
Arya
"I will break the chains of our past, the hold of Empires my ancestors swore against. My sins began with him, they will end with me, Seldarine witness to my defiance!" -- Daeatria Ravenshadow

"Our failings did not mean no Dream was. Some fought for it, many died for it." --Kan'itae Ravenshadow

The Red Mage

Garage Trashcan Avatar
jixjum Avatar
As much as I want this to be a joke...*shudders*

One was Thaddeus, I know that much. Then there was... Red Mage's Half-Orc who became a Purple Dragon...but he hasn't been played in years...and didn't he kill himself with a hammer or something?
Yes. Lack of DM notes on his whole personal plot made the character invalidated, so I just offed him.

Fire Wraith

Half-Orcs are probably the one race that is disliked, but can realistically change peoples' opinions about them via roleplay within the confines of the setting.  It's sort of an open thing that someone could take up if they wished - changing the attitudes of Arabellans to be a little more accepting of half-orcs (even if they're unlikely to love you, etc).

You don't need an approval (unless you wanted to play a Tana'rukk or something), though do realize that you're playing a Category 3 subrace/race, and yes, should probably exercise caution in Arabel (at least until better known).

And as far as strange subraces...  To be blunt, nobody tends to roleplay out actual prejudice in-game, ever - if anything, players are far too willing to accomodate and be understanding, because we're all used to modern ideas of tolerance/equality/etc, that are entirely alien to the setting (where even the notion of treating humans/dwarves/elves as equal is a "radical" idea).  

With the occasional exceptions of certain players/characters (usually playing out as Elf vs Drow, but there have been others), most of the hate I see coming from other PCs towards various unusual races revolves around OOC dislike rooted in prejudice based on different views of what should or should not be acceptable within the setting, or over critiques of roleplay.*  Even then, in many cases other PCs were willing to step up for "their friend".

*And let me be clear - this is why the rule exists that only the Admins have any final say on judging these things, because otherwise it degenerates rather quickly.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." -George Bernard Shaw

"So long as you harbor love for this world, ever shall there be a place for you in it. Your adventures will never end."

Arya

+1 to Fire Wraith's post.  Pretty much sums up where a lot of the prejudice I have seen come from.  

~Arya
"I will break the chains of our past, the hold of Empires my ancestors swore against. My sins began with him, they will end with me, Seldarine witness to my defiance!" -- Daeatria Ravenshadow

"Our failings did not mean no Dream was. Some fought for it, many died for it." --Kan'itae Ravenshadow

Fire Wraith

Also, to be clear - having opinions on what you feel should or shouldn't be appropriate in the setting is fine, everyone has them.  Just remember, they all differ, and what we've established is an attempt at compromise.  It's also something, though, that we'd prefer to not have to constantly rehash. :)
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." -George Bernard Shaw

"So long as you harbor love for this world, ever shall there be a place for you in it. Your adventures will never end."

Ogre Time Yay

This reminds me of a time I played as a half orc on a Neverwinter Nights 2 server, two players playing as guards approached my orc (who was always wearing a mask) and had this conversation right in front of him.

Guard: "Sir, this one keeps wearing a mask."
Officer: "Tell him to take it off."

Guard: Clears throat "Excuse me sir, would you please remove your mask so that we may see your pretty face!" Said kindly of course
Me: Shrugs, removes mask

Guard: "Erm..." Turns to the officer "He's an orc, sir..."
Officer: "Tell him to put it back on."

Guard: Clears throat "Excuse me sir, would you please p-"
Me: "I heard  him..." Puts mask back on.

Wish I could remember the name of that character, I might be able to use him on this server.