Main Menu

Regarding Sindel's life in Arabel

Started by Mystic Warden, Jun 19, 2014, 05:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mystic Warden

I began to round out my concept for Sindel Sinul, the countryside witch who recently arrived to Arabel. I would like to ask the DM team about the activities I plan with her and her build. Based on the posts I read on the forums I thought it is better to ask first.

1) I took the Craft Wondrous Items feat for Sindel, representing her abilities to make minor magical trinkets, mostly for peasants and common folk. Based on the recent thread about crafting I thought it is better if I bring this up. If it is OK with the DMs I would like to keep this feat. I will make forum RP posts for its usage a bit later but for now it would be mostly for NPCs anyway (see #2 below). If and when it is done for herself or an other PC I guess we can handle it with some quick DM help (item added, gold and XP removed).

2) As Sindel is not really an adventurer type (at least not yet and not just because of her level) I was thinking what can she do, where could she fit in into the Arabel society. Going down into the filthy sewers to hunt rats is just not her cup of tea. I simply can't envision this character to do such thing ICly. However she is used to deal with the common folk, peasants, small merchants, etc. She already met with some powerful magic user already but -most possibly- they will not handling such clientele. There she sees a possible "market niche" so to speak, to fit in. Therefore she would mingle with those folk and using her abilities like Heal, minor trinket crafting (see #1 above), card reading (see #3 below) and such to help those people as medicine woman, midwife, charm peddler, etc. Of course not for free as she is absolutely not a samaritan type, she has a keen interest in herself. :) She might help out some people for free, but she does that mostly to gain favours, goodwill, and connections. (She is not totally heartless, though.) Otherwise, she expects reasonable payments. To support these business, and to represent her earlier mercantile activities/experiences I put skill points into Appraise and Persuasion, and took the Silver Palm feat. As these interactions would 99% happen with NPCs I think forum RP could be the best way to handle it, but if something interesting comes up I am not objecting to take it in-game. :)

3) I would like to get a simple deck of tarot cards for Sindel which she uses for future telling. If you have one already scripted, which can get you draw one random card by using it would be the best, but if not, no problem. Do not waste time on scripting one in the later case, I can handle it when a reading is played out with a PC, I did that before. :)

4) Sindel was introduced to Ailia and others who can help her get into the Violet Flame. Besides #2 above she would work on this as currently she see this as her ticket to higher circles later. (She would not want to stay a simple charm peddler when she could be so much more.) This is a more longer-term activity which involves other PCs more than #2 above, just wanted to mention it here to round out the picture. :)

So, basically that's what I am aiming for with Sindel at the moment. I think this gives lot of possibilities for interesting events, not just for herself but others, too. Please let me know your thoughts and opinions about these! If I get green light from you than I will do the forum RP posts, too.
Sindel Sinul, witch, herbswoman and tarot reader extraordinaire with a strong business sense
Diana Castelli, cute bookworm, arcane nerd, with the 'Weapon focus: book' feat
Vicky DeVille, daddy's princess, conjuring up some trouble
Melinda Moon, merc with a mouth and two tonfa-hilted short swords

daphne

I personally don't see any problem with this as it is good to get some people involved in alternatives to dungeon crawling, at least as a low level supplement.  A number of the Dms do forum role play so at really shouldn't pose much problem. You will possibly find leveling significantly slower than the combat folks.

As for tarot cards we do not have a script as far as I know. I have made tarot decks for RP.  Eilira does readings too. I can get you something iG!

trylobyte

Once Aelie gets some working spare keys to the VF she'd be happy to help Sindel out with #4, and might have some ideas for #2 as well, mostly courtesy of another player, RedMage, who is the king of that sort of thing.  If he makes an appearance in this thread you may want to pick his brain for ideas on how to interact and stay involved without adventuring, since one of his characters is the best known and (in my opinion) best executed example of staying active and involved without adventuring.

Fire Wraith

1 - Regarding crafting, we're trying to move to a more scripted system to avoid the problems we've had in the past when it comes to debating power levels, etc.  That said, RP focused items are another matter entirely, and we can certainly work with you there.

2 - I'd suggest getting involved with faction and personal RP, the Violet Flame being a great example.  Look for plots and DM events that are more RP oriented, and less about smashing things, and get in on them where you can.

3 - Creating a script and an item wouldn't be hard.  I'd be tempted to do one of the Pathfinder "Harrow" deck, as well or instead of the standard Major Arcana... though it's not like it would be difficult to do both.

4 - Aelie can help with that, and/or see Eve in game.  I'll be happy to help. :)

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." -George Bernard Shaw

"So long as you harbor love for this world, ever shall there be a place for you in it. Your adventures will never end."

Mystic Warden

Thanks for the kind answers and the support! Looking forward to do/RP this! :)

I will put up forum RP posts about Sindel's activities regarding #2 above. Any DMs please feel free to contribute to it than!

About the tarot card deck: I would prefer Major Arcana if possible, to stick to the 'classics'. :) Btw what is the difference between this and the Harrow deck you mentioned?
Sindel Sinul, witch, herbswoman and tarot reader extraordinaire with a strong business sense

Valimar Dragonbane

I think the Harrow Deck is the Pathfinder equivalent of a standard Tarot Deck.
Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

A diplomat... is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you actually look forward to the trip. - Caskie Stinnett

Adventure is just bad planning. - Roald Amundsen

Fire Wraith

Valimar Dragonbane Avatar
I think the Harrow Deck is the Pathfinder equivalent of a standard Tarot Deck.

Yes - very similar in theme, just different cards and meanings.
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." -George Bernard Shaw

"So long as you harbor love for this world, ever shall there be a place for you in it. Your adventures will never end."

Mystic Warden

I am a conservative esoterist, I deal only in classics! :)

Fire Wraith

Yes, but it has such a cool name for a reading - a Harrowing. :)

Fire Wraith

There will be both Tarot (Major Arcana) and Harrow decks for sale in Raven's Plume in Arabel as of the next update.

Mystic Warden

Fire Wraith Avatar
There will be both Tarot (Major Arcana) and Harrow decks for sale in Raven's Plume in Arabel as of the next update.
Yayy! Christmas is early in this year! :)

Are they scripted to draw a card by using it? And no magical properties?

Fire Wraith

Basically it will draw a card for the person you target ("Sindel draws (cardname) for (character)").  It keeps track of what cards you've drawn, and you can't draw the same card again until you reshuffle the deck, by targeting the ground.

The Red Mage

Would it be possible for it to use spell focus divination or something instead of just a general skill? That way characters who are devoted to the art won't be trumphed by any Mary Sue or Joe who picks up a deck?

Mystic Warden

Fire Wraith Avatar
Basically it will draw a card for the person you target ("Sindel draws (cardname) for (character)").  It keeps track of what cards you've drawn, and you can't draw the same card again until you reshuffle the deck, by targeting the ground.
That's perfect! Can't wait to try it out! *dances a merry little dance* :)

Big smooches to all who made it possible! :) *offers cookies*

Mystic Warden

The Red Mage Avatar
Would it be possible for it to use spell focus divination or something instead of just a general skill? That way characters who are devoted to the art won't be trumphed by any Mary Sue or Joe who picks up a deck?
It does not use any skill. It is purely an RP tool.

Also, tarot is not about seeing the future. It is more a kind of psychoanalysis for the participant. At least this is how I use it with Sindel, she is above the level of cheap gypsy future tellers on a country fare. Just like it is used IRL, planet Earth, 2014 AD by serious practicioners of it.

Unless one of the DMs would like to use it as a plot device, in which case I am happy to help out!