Main Menu

Marathmmor Duin/Dumathoin Allow Druids

Started by necromancingthestone, Jun 28, 2022, 10:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

necromancingthestone

I really feel like Dumathoin is missing from the list of "nature" deities that should allow druid followers. There are many reasons for this:

1) Dumathoin is the keeper of secrets under the mountain, the lord of the underground.  There is nothing lesser about the nature of caverns, tunnels, mushrooms, and algae as compared to the plains, valleys, trees and flowers off the surface. They are both equally natural just shaped differently. So being lord of the spaces under the earth, is being attuned that aspect of the greater natural world.

2) His dogma, demands his followers respect and maintain the natural world. A very druid concept. www.thievesguild.cc/gods/god?godid=149

"Walk the deep and silent ways of Dumatoin. Seek out the hidden gifts of the Keeper of Secrets under the Mountain. That which is hidden is precious, and that which is precious shall stay hidden. Seek to enhance the natural beauty of Dumathoin's gifts and go with, not against, the contours of the deeps. "

3) Dumathoin is also essentially the God of Dwarven subterranean agriculture:

"Priests of Dumathoin always seek to uncover the buried wealth of the earth without marring the beauty of the ways beneath the surface or being overly greedy. They often supervise mining operations and maintain underground safety and security. They work to clean up the rubble of mining, to grow and put in place luminous fungi and edible deep-mosses, and to direct water through the earth to best serve the underlife that includes, of course, dwarves."

en-academic.com/dic.nsf/enwiki/1923568

"Dumathoin's clerics dress in brown leather. Their heads are bare, but they wear earth-brown cloaks and robes. They never trim their hair or beards. Their favored weapon is either the warhammer or military pick. They seek to uncover the treasures of the earth without marring the natural beauty of the tunnels and mines and without succumbing to greed. They supervise mines, ensuring they are safe and secure from monsters. They also help with subterranean agriculture. They are morticians and protectors of tombs."

4) Comparing the dogma of say Chauntea, to Dumathoin, they are very similar. Agriculture is the process of shaping the natural world to enhance it toward the needs of the people farming. Druids of Chauntea encourage certain plants and deny others (weeds) in order to best feed those around them. Chauntea preaches to do so with as small an impact on the natural world as possible. Dumathoin does the same, the farming of precious metals and the farming of subterranean food, with the express dogma of causing the least impact possible on nature.

I know this is a small request affecting an army of one person... me.... but it really would be a great addition to dwarves to allow Druids to worship Dumathoin. It makes good rp sense considering his history and teachings, and would mean The keepers of the natural areas under the mountain can be nature priests. The only way now for a Dwarven druid within the Morindinsamman is through Thard Harr who is the patron of jungle dwarves, not a very under the mountain king of feel.

Eidolon

Personally I feel like giving him a nature domain goes against what Dumathoin represents. He is primaraly the patron of secrets and in truth I believe he only really has the earth domain because he is a dwarven deity. The swarf deity that likely SHOULD have it is Thard Harr.

forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Thard_Harr

necromancingthestone

Thard Harr already is allowed.

I guess my point here is, how is Dumathoin any different than say Segojan Earthcaller? Segojan is the gnomish deity of the earth and the dead. Dumathoin is the Dwarven deity of the earth and the dead.

Realistically, it's difficult to believe that no underground focused Dwarven druids of the Morindinsamman would exist considering their deep rooted connection to the earth.  They spend much of their lives, if not ALL their lives, underground.  

Thard Harr doesn't fill the role that would and should exist in Dwarven society worshipping the natural world under ground. Thard Harr is a jungle dwarf deity where they are the one sect of dwarf society that stays mostly above ground. His nature aspects only cover a small bit of dwarf society.  Dumathoin in his dogma, has tenets of faith that mirror closely accepted nature deities and is focused on the deep places of the world.

Terallis

Segojan specifically has nature in his portfolio, while Dumathoin has nothing of the sort. Seeking balance in nature doesn't always mean nature in the more literal sense, but more what's considered natural vs unnatural in the world itself. Dumathoin is a deity that has a portfolio governing over wealth, gems, mining, underground exploration, and guarding the dead, while Segojan is more specifically a god of earth and nature, while further specifically having a bit of that portfolio covering the dead among gnomes, due to them generally being interred into his domain after death. Just because a god covers the underground and earth, doesn't mean they also fall into the realm of what a nature god is.

By that same logic, deities like Selune would count as a nature god due to her natural influence over tides and other factors brought forth by the existence of the moon. But she's not one. Many deities could have themselves stretched to include some sort of nature influence, but that would admittedly get fairly crazy, much as it would for taking similar stretches on other deities for other forms of governing domains.
Eirik Hjartoreldr
Ulrik Dawnfall
Alaric

necromancingthestone

Okay. I get it. It's a stretch for Dumathoin. I don't think a very big stretch, but I understand your point. No problem. I'm really trying to find a Morindinsamman deity for druids that doesn't lean on Thard Harr who is entirely too specialized with jungles and jungle dwarves.

The other one i would like to have considered is: Marathmmor Duin.

forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Marthammor_Duin

Unlike Dumathoin, he is a true nature deity, with Nature being his primary portfolio. He is well aligned with Mielikki and would very much fit the concept.

Clergy of Marathmmor Duin spend their time in the wilds of nature as part of his dogma, so a deep connection to nature would  be expected.

Terallis

Well, closer, but again there's actually nothing in Mathammor's portfolio or domains that suggest being a nature God. You can be a wanderer, tracker, etc, without necessarily having a deep connection with nature itself. His whole thing is a domain over those leaving Dwarven holds to explore more beyond and the like. Can still be aligned with nature deities, but yeah. Neither His portfolio or domains contain Nature, in 3E, at least.

I know the general majority of Dwarven druids are those worshipping deities outside the Mordinsamman, since the dwarves themselves aren't generally known to have specific druids outside the worship of Thard Harr, AFAIK.

But further than this, I'm gonna say for an admin to weigh in beyond what's been said, at least. Will tag since he's the bigger one for dwarf stuff.
Eirik Hjartoreldr
Ulrik Dawnfall
Alaric

Edge

Druidry is just not really a thing that jives with dwarven culture or the majority of their pantheon, and Thard Harr is a strong exception because of how different jungle dwarves are from shield and gold dwarves.

Most dwarves that aren't jungle dwarves and/or don't have reason to worship Thard Harr but still find themselves drawn toward druidism would probably be inclined most toward Grumbar, who's been added along with the other elemental gods as an available druidic patron.
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.
DM Tiamat | Szuriel | Maedhbh | Cassilda

necromancingthestone

Copy. I appreciate the time! I'll find something else to do with him.