Main Menu

Don't take anything for granted.

Started by TheGuyThatPlaysAsJames, Mar 14, 2015, 12:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGuyThatPlaysAsJames

So I fell off the face of the earth again. I'd really like to say that it was college going crazy on me, what with the last half of the term coming up, but that isn't 100% true. Or even half true. The fact is that something really devastating happened that shook me so hard, I became a social recluse to everyone for about a month.

About a month ago, my sister changed her medication. She was getting some pretty strange side effects from it, though... the anti-anxiety meds knocked her on her ass for literally a day and a half. I had no idea she was home (we're room mates), she was just in bed all day. When I finally saw her, I told her to call her doctor and tell him what was going on, since that was a pretty serious reaction. After the phone call, her doctor advised her to go to the hospital.

About an hour later, I get a call from Providence Health Center in Portland. She had been self-harming and entertaining thoughts of suicide.

When they were giving her a check-up, they found evidence of burning on her right shoulder and under her leg. When she was confronted about it, she spilled the beans and told them straight up. What's worse, to me, is that this isn't the first time she had done something like this; the only difference is that last time, it never really went public as there were only a select few people she told, myself included. I just thought we were past that stage.

She spent a little under a month in the psych ward, putting me as the only person allowed in the guest list. This sent my family on defcon five, as I would get calls every day from different people, some of them I haven't talked to in years, asking about what happened and how she was doing. Juggling that situation, the constant questions and phone calls, and staying together in college had put more pressure on me than I think I've ever had in my life.

My sister is home now, and doing fine. She's taking some wellness classes, but that doesn't really eliminate the fear of what might happen. If any one of you knows somebody that is in that mindset, or if you're one of them yourself, please seek help. There's always someone to call, whether it's a family member or a help line. Don't take the permanent solution to a temporary problem.

Now that she's home and school is dying down, I'll try to be on again. The last month has just been so harrowing that I'm surprised my hair didn't fall out, haha. I'll hopefully see you all soon enough.

-Sky

ladybug

God, that's rough. >_< Glad to hear everything's improving for you.
SDM Sto Helit

When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - C. S. Lewis

realityjumper

Thank you for staying in touch with me throughout. I'm glad things are on the mend now. And as always, I'm here for you!
"Death floats on the air, creeps through the window, comes with the handshake of a stranger. If we stop living because we fear death, then we have already died." ~ Raistlin Majere

Edge

Good to hear things are improving. Prayers for you both.
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.
DM Tiamat | Szuriel | Maedhbh | Cassilda

whitespirit

My goodness ... o.o I am glad that everything is looking better.

Arya

Same here.  I have known people who were in that spot, and it is not always easy, especially when it hits close to home.  <3 Please take care of yourself, her, and then seek us once the time is right.  

Sincerely,
Arya
"I will break the chains of our past, the hold of Empires my ancestors swore against. My sins began with him, they will end with me, Seldarine witness to my defiance!" -- Daeatria Ravenshadow

"Our failings did not mean no Dream was. Some fought for it, many died for it." --Kan'itae Ravenshadow

Valimar Dragonbane

Echoing what everyone else has said here, and I can't even begin to imagine what that has been like.  You are a very strong man, sir.  It is not easy being a caretaker.
Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

A diplomat... is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you actually look forward to the trip. - Caskie Stinnett

Adventure is just bad planning. - Roald Amundsen

Damn um, I can't ever imagine this.  Not ever.  That's just beyond me.  
James, we're all here to wish you well, and that your life improves and those around you pull through safely.

Fire Wraith

Hope everything is well, and stays that way.  Real life definitely comes first - our thoughts are with you.
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." -George Bernard Shaw

"So long as you harbor love for this world, ever shall there be a place for you in it. Your adventures will never end."

Vincent07

Wishing you well man.  Hope things get better for you.  Otherwise echoing what's been said above.
"You think any of it matters? The things we did? The lives we destroyed. That's all that's ever gonna count. So, yeah, surprise. You're going to hell. We both are." -Angel

The Red Mage

I'm on those same meds, most likely, and it can be very, very rough. They seem to give you depression and even insomnia which can be counterproductive. They make my body tired, but they don't really calm me. They've at least stopped the pain for now. All I can give you as advice is don't smother her with attention--just be there for her. She'll definitely let you know when you should help her even if she'll never be able to explain how you can help her. Just be there for her, that's the most important thing.

theshobit

She is so very lucky to have you! You're missed but do what you need. And yes, sometimes, the medicines meant to help only cause more issues. : (

Nevermore

It is an selfless and amazing thing you are doing. Take your time.. do what you need. We are here for you and will be here when you get back.