Main Menu

Wish - the Wizards spell of 'I rock your socks'

Started by Wittle Dreamer, Aug 11, 2015, 03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wittle Dreamer

So just wanted to know:

Is "Wish" a spell that can be used in CD even though it is not mechanically implimented? I know there is Miracle, the clerics subtype of it though not as powerful.

Fire Wraith

Yes - and it has been in the past. That said, a few caveats tend to apply (and this is just off the top of my head):

1) While this hasn't been an official policy, we've usually only allowed wishes that come from items, since as a Ring of Wishes, or other explicit intervention (granted by a Djinni perhaps). That is, not something any 9th level caster can just do (or at least, not full-scope wishes) at whim.

2) The admins have adjudicated the wish, which means a few things:
2a) First, "be careful what you wish for" applies. The wording may wind up twisted, or taken literally, especially depending on the source of the wish.
2b) Wishes aren't all powerful, and if you ask for too much, it may try and simply fail, or perhaps have a lesser/more limited effect (and possibly still fail at a later date).

3) Ultimately we want things that will further the storyline of those involved, rather than hijack or derail it. That is, if something introduces new challenges and life in a story, that's good; but if it simply short-circuits things, that's probably bad.
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." -George Bernard Shaw

"So long as you harbor love for this world, ever shall there be a place for you in it. Your adventures will never end."

Edge

Miracle is limited to similar stipulations. In addition, on CD, deities will not hand out Miracle spells to clerics simply at request; there has to be a strong, convincing reason for it, the purpose for and end result of the Miracle must be in line with the wishes, tenets, dogma, and alignment of the deity granting it, and in addition to the way Wishes can fail, a Miracle can fail if the deity decides to refuse, deny, or twist the request in some way.
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.
DM Tiamat | Szuriel | Maedhbh | Cassilda

valiea987

And I would think with a Cleric, you run the risk of excessive use. Try too often, you might piss off your god. Which god is going to like the Cleric calling for a Miracle every other day? :P

I think it might be more common to see them granted on major holidays of the particular god. At least from some of the stuff on the wiki, holidays are often times when True Resurrection spells are used to bring back champions of the past in times of trouble... Another use of big time divine magic that might be something a god wants used only in rare circumstances.

Edge

We're a lot less restrictive on True Rez. Mainly because the only times (at least on CD) it needs to see use are in cases of Plot Death, which are fairly rare, and it's even rarer to have a character in need of a Plot Death resurrection that is too old or lacking enough remnant pieces for regular Resurrection to not be used instead.
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.
DM Tiamat | Szuriel | Maedhbh | Cassilda

valiea987

True. The uses of it are super rare here, that's for sure. I was just trying to use it to point out how some of the level 9 spells are supposed to have a bit of grandeur that is lost in NWN's mechanical side. Miracle as a RP focused spell should be used with the same kind of care and concern on the part of the cleric. Not a spell that I think should be cast as freely as Implosion is in NWN. :D

Angelina keeps a pile of diamonds in one of her bags just in case such magic is needed.

foo

valiea987 Avatar
Angelina keeps a pile of diamonds in one of her bags just in case such magic is needed.
You should be careful how broadly you advertize that information :D

valiea987

foo Avatar
valiea987 Avatar
You should be careful how broadly you advertize that information :D
You should see Angelina's inventory. It's a damn labyrinth. If you can find them to pickpocket, good luck. :P

Angelina doesn't make it known ICly though, so that's the safe part. :D

Fire Wraith

Pickpocketing via game mechanic is script blocked (or made rather difficult at least). We've had too many issues with people abusing it in the past.
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." -George Bernard Shaw

"So long as you harbor love for this world, ever shall there be a place for you in it. Your adventures will never end."