Main Menu

Flooded Apartment

Started by sinisteromnibus, Oct 04, 2015, 03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valimar Dragonbane

Demolishing?!  Good lord, what happened to the place?
Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

A diplomat... is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you actually look forward to the trip. - Caskie Stinnett

Adventure is just bad planning. - Roald Amundsen

Deleted

*insert string of expletives here*

sinisteromnibus

The wiring was destroyed and there was extensive structral damage.

Valimar Dragonbane

Aaah, so we're talking about some force behind the water, and not just a massive downpour.  That makes sense.  At least you and the family are safe!
Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

A diplomat... is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you actually look forward to the trip. - Caskie Stinnett

Adventure is just bad planning. - Roald Amundsen

foo

Valimar Dragonbane Avatar
Aaah, so we're talking about some force behind the water, and not just a massive downpour.  That makes sense.  At least you and the family are safe!
whenever there's over 24 inches of rain in a hour there is no such thing as water without force. even if it weren't flowing rapidly , just that much watter pressure would probably crack your walls.

Autumn

*EEEEEEEEPS and hugs*

sinisteromnibus

Right now, we're just trying to find a place to go before Sunday. We have very little money (we had just paid rent) and it'll be a month before we get our rent and deposit back.

Edge

WTF. Why the hell isn't insurance pitching in? What loophole are they exploiting now?
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.
DM Tiamat | Szuriel | Maedhbh | Cassilda

sinisteromnibus

We had just gotten the policy a few days before. Didn't know we needed separate flood coverage, as we don't live in what's considered a flood-prone area. We called to see if we were covered, and the agent said yes, and we should make a list of what was water-damaged for when the adjuster called. He called yesterday and informed us our policy didn't cover flood.

onivel

That blows.. sorry to hear that.
" Just take that little voice in your head that tells you to be tactful and understanding and shoot it. Shoot it in the goddamn face. " - Kirito .. Message is brought to you by the Kirito is Always Right Foundation.

foo

Always buy flood insurance. I live in a high desert, away from a flood plane, and one day the city failed to maintain an irrigation canal properly which burst, and killed a mother and two kids who were living right below the landslide it triggered. It flooded the entire neighborhood, and people who lived on the next street over were completely flooded out of their houses. Water is a very fickle friend, and almost every house I've ever lived in has been flooded at one point or another, mostly through human ignorance of how water works.

Fire Wraith

That's really fucked up.

Is there anything any of us can do to help somehow?
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." -George Bernard Shaw

"So long as you harbor love for this world, ever shall there be a place for you in it. Your adventures will never end."

Vincent07

A GoFundMe has been set up to assist them:

www.gofundme.com/xp5rf6vu
"You think any of it matters? The things we did? The lives we destroyed. That's all that's ever gonna count. So, yeah, surprise. You're going to hell. We both are." -Angel

sinisteromnibus

Update from Clockwork, who has done much phone typing while Sinister did the heaviest lifting: we may still have a long way to go 'til things are normal again,but we now have a house to stay in for the time being, thanks to a friend of a friend who had a second house he had fixed up to rent. Says we can stay there for free while we get on our feet.

You've all been great and helped so much. I can't tell you how much we appreciate it. Thank you.

sinisteromnibus

Not a moment too soon, either, as they've scheduled demolition for Sunday.