Main Menu

New Players

Started by Ryoko Honda, Nov 19, 2015, 02:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fire Wraith

Like so (section highlighted in red):

Also, if either of you want someone to bounce ideas off for adapting your story, I'd be happy to chat and see what I can do. :)
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." -George Bernard Shaw

"So long as you harbor love for this world, ever shall there be a place for you in it. Your adventures will never end."

Ryoko Honda

Yes. The storyline, I had worked out for Nyacelil. Was that her family was from Semberholm but was destroyed during the Weeping Wars. Nyacelil grew up in Evereska, and i'm thinking, now- has come to deepindale for bladesinger training?

Nyacelil actually went to Semberholm to find the house that was left behind by her family. Where she found some relics and such. Though switching servers now it will have to be reworked or written as it never happen or so on. 

The trouble is that, player who's been my rp partner for little bit, his story doesnt' really exist without the elven crusade. As his character was a crusader in Severial's Army. Thats how the two met. So all that is gonna have to be reworked.

Was there another major conflict that happen recently? A war of some sort that might fill that in?

Did Kimal Nimson's Rebellion happen in Evermeet?

cherrycoke2l

In the elf RP we mentioned Kymil Nimesin's invasion on several occasions, so I think you can safely assume it happened. Same with the Phaerimm invasion in Evereska. Oh and by the way I have a bladesinger character too, the NWN log in is Maciektg.

Ryoko Honda

How is time done on the server? 1 day = 1 rp day?

Edge

We tend to play kind of fast and loose with time. By the official server timeline, it's only been about six years or so since the server launched, despite it being over ten in real-life time. On the other hand, one IRL day is generally considered, give or take, about three IC days - this is the only time calculation that's really important for mechanical reasons, as that's what we use when calculating times for crafting items, studying epic spells, and other time-sensitive requests. Yes, we know that doesn't add up.

Simply put, server time and date advance forward as the server storylines and such move forward. Otherwise, time is treated very loosely.
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.
DM Tiamat | Szuriel | Maedhbh | Cassilda

Deleted

Darvins Avatar
I would add server history wise not helping the Velethuil isolationist slide is the fact that the Elder who would have resisted it died in the final battle against the Matron, and while he died a hero, well he's still dead leaving the Elders far more conservative than they might otherwise have been.
Ah, no.  There is still an elder that is fighting the isolationism.  The "not helping" bit is that before it was 2 elders not supporting isolationism, and now it's only one.

Garage Trashcan

Ryoko Honda Avatar
Yes. The storyline, I had worked out for Nyacelil. Was that her family was from Semberholm but was destroyed during the Weeping Wars. Nyacelil grew up in Evereska, and i'm thinking, now- has come to deepindale for bladesinger training?

Nyacelil actually went to Semberholm to find the house that was left behind by her family. Where she found some relics and such. Though switching servers now it will have to be reworked or written as it never happen or so on. 

The trouble is that, player who's been my rp partner for little bit, his story doesnt' really exist without the elven crusade. As his character was a crusader in Severial's Army. Thats how the two met. So all that is gonna have to be reworked.

Was there another major conflict that happen recently? A war of some sort that might fill that in?

Did Kimal Nimson's Rebellion happen in Evermeet?
There was also the Drow attack on Velethuil/Bristar a couple of years ago that they could have been involved in somehow. There was also Cormyr's war with the Shadovar. More recently, the Zhentarim have been attacking cities/towns on the northern Cormyrean border.
Torsten Solberg - Jovial Jotunkind
Halonya Gabranth - Paladin of Hoar
Alethra Duskmantle - Spoiled Socialite
Retired PCs: Felix Greentrack, Nikolai Mikhailovich

Darvins

Fire Wraith Avatar
Sure thing. :)

Also, part of the reason we haven't incorporated the Crusade yet isn't because we don't ever intend to, but partly because we'd want to let the various elven players have a role in any events surrounding that. The module itself expands to encompass a large chunk of the southern part of the Cormanthor (i.e., the Semberholme part of it), and as such they'd likely not just let it go ignored.

So really, if players are interested and a DM/DMs want to run a story arc for it, we'd be all for it, even if it might not take exactly the same route (and possibly would feature players in more of a starring role, naturally).

That would have me bring Galdern out full time...  I really want to play him more but felt his story was done, but the Crusade yeah that would be something I could see being of interest to him... *makes puppy dog eyes at DM's*

Darvins

belladonna Avatar
Nov 20, 2015 9:45:15 GMT -5  @belladonna said:
Darvins Avatar
I would add server history wise not helping the Velethuil isolationist slide is the fact that the Elder who would have resisted it died in the final battle against the Matron, and while he died a hero, well he's still dead leaving the Elders far more conservative than they might otherwise have been.
Ah, no.  There is still an elder that is fighting the isolationism.  The "not helping" bit is that before it was 2 elders not supporting isolationism, and now it's only one.
I'd still say the Elder who died's loss is a big one to the issue, since he was the 'General' of the defence and a hero, on top of being an Elder;)

Ryoko Honda

Darvins Avatar
belladonna Avatar
Nov 20, 2015 9:45:15 GMT -5  @belladonna said:
I'd still say the Elder who died's loss is a big one to the issue, since he was the 'General' of the defence and a hero, on top of being an Elder;)

Heheh. Last Mythal was great story I agree. :) ;)

foo

I tend to play 1 day = 1 day until it becomes neccessary to forward or slow down time (or possibly reorder preset timed events) to keep things sane. I find it keeps me creative to keep the time scale fixed.

Edge

Like I said, except when it comes to crafting and spell research and other things like that, the time scale isn't really important all things considered. So whatever works for you is generally fine, so long as it doesn't become an issue =)
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.
DM Tiamat | Szuriel | Maedhbh | Cassilda

Deleted

If you like Myth Drannor restored, don't get into 5ed and the Sundering. Just saying, don't go there.

Fire Wraith

Our "point of divergence" from the official timeline is 1372 DR, which is the date for the 3rd edition FRCS sourcebook. So, yes, the attack on Evermeet has occured (as described in the novel, Evermeet), as did the attacks on Evereska in 1372 DR described in the Return of the Archwizards (though not the later ones from the Last Mythal trilogy).

Probably the best stand-in for the elven crusade, given the similarities in the timeline, would be the war with the Drow that others described above. I don't have the exact date when that was supposed to take place in our timeline, but it should be roughly around 1375ish, and covers lots of fighting in the Cormanthor/Semberholme, along with the attack on Ssrenshen. It was a major conflict in the area, albeit against the Drow rather than the Fey'ri, and while I don't know that there was any particular large calling of elves from elsewhere returning to fight there, it certainly would not have been at all out of place. It also took place over several months, building up to the attempt by the Drow Matron to drop a large meteor on the region.

I should also note that Ssrenshen is usually referred to as Moonrise Hill in most FR works, and Velethuil is referred to as Bristar. It's been one of the quirks/traditions/etc in CD that they've been referred to by their "elven" name versions on CD, starting with the person who built the areas for them and for the surrounding woods/Deepingdale/etc. In fact, I don't think anyone on CD would even know what you're talking about if you mentioned them in those names, by now. :)

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." -George Bernard Shaw

"So long as you harbor love for this world, ever shall there be a place for you in it. Your adventures will never end."

Fire Wraith

Regarding time scale, the initial design intent was to peg the overall passage of time to phases of the overall campaign story, which is defined in Books and Chapters, sort of as if we were all playing characters in a series of FR novels. Within that, you wouldn't have an explicit set length of RL time, and instead the RL length would vary based on the amount of stuff going on, so that sections with more action/activity might last longer in RL, and vice versa.

This didn't really work out in practice, in part because we had difficulty at times in keeping with those stories. Some of the "Books" have done a better job of writing themselves than others (we've been in something of a lull with the current one for a bit, that's kicking back into gear now with events in the Stonelands, but I digress).

Roughly speaking, we've been at something more like 1 to 1 at the level of seasons, which lets us peg in-game social events and holidays (like Midwinter or Greengrass) to the real-world season. That said, there's no exacting ratio in game, and the NWN game clock isn't set at 1 to 1 (for various reasons), so there's still a degree of flexibility in terms of how things go, such as truncating/skipping ahead on travel and so forth, in order to keep the story/rp flowing.