Main Menu

New Players

Started by Ryoko Honda, Nov 19, 2015, 02:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deleted

Fire Wraith Avatar
Probably the best stand-in for the elven crusade, given the similarities in the timeline, would be the war with the Drow that others described above. I don't have the exact date when that was supposed to take place in our timeline, but it should be roughly around 1375ish, and covers lots of fighting in the Cormanthor/Semberholme, along with the attack on Ssrenshen. It was a major conflict in the area, albeit against the Drow rather than the Fey'ri, and while I don't know that there was any particular large calling of elves from elsewhere returning to fight there, it certainly would not have been at all out of place. It also took place over several months, building up to the attempt by the Drow Matron to drop a large meteor on the region.
I'm not sure that's completely analogous.  The invasion by the Drow Matron didn't see a return of elves so much as an alliance with outside forces (Cormyr, Highmoon, Eilistraee worshipping Drow, etc.).

Deleted

I would say if you are looking for an elf-centric battle/war situation look to the Phaerimm invasion of Evereska to parallel your meeting. From there it sounded like there were ideas that could draw you to Semberholme.

Fire Wraith

belladonna Avatar
Nov 20, 2015 17:22:45 GMT -5  @belladonna said:
Fire Wraith Avatar
Probably the best stand-in for the elven crusade, given the similarities in the timeline, would be the war with the Drow that others described above. I don't have the exact date when that was supposed to take place in our timeline, but it should be roughly around 1375ish, and covers lots of fighting in the Cormanthor/Semberholme, along with the attack on Ssrenshen. It was a major conflict in the area, albeit against the Drow rather than the Fey'ri, and while I don't know that there was any particular large calling of elves from elsewhere returning to fight there, it certainly would not have been at all out of place. It also took place over several months, building up to the attempt by the Drow Matron to drop a large meteor on the region.
I'm not sure that's completely analogous.  The invasion by the Drow Matron didn't see a return of elves so much as an alliance with outside forces (Cormyr, Highmoon, Eilistraee worshipping Drow, etc.).
Right, nowhere near on that scale, but certainly individuals could have come to help within the context of that, was what I mean.
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." -George Bernard Shaw

"So long as you harbor love for this world, ever shall there be a place for you in it. Your adventures will never end."

Ryoko Honda

blessedcursenwn Avatar
Nov 20, 2015 16:54:22 GMT -5  @blessedcursenwn said:
If you like Myth Drannor restored, don't get into 5ed and the Sundering. Just saying, don't go there.

Yeah I do GURPs for my pen and paper with my theater group

Garage Trashcan

blessedcursenwn Avatar
If you like Myth Drannor restored, don't get into 5ed and the Sundering. Just saying, don't go there.

Reading through my Sword Coast Adventurer's guide made me sad hearing about Myth Drannor falling again...well, I suppose technically it was fell on...by Netheril, but you get the idea. So far the lore for 5th Ed has been more sane than 4th at the very least.
Torsten Solberg - Jovial Jotunkind
Halonya Gabranth - Paladin of Hoar
Alethra Duskmantle - Spoiled Socialite
Retired PCs: Felix Greentrack, Nikolai Mikhailovich

Ryoko Honda

Garage Trashcan Avatar
blessedcursenwn Avatar

Reading through my Sword Coast Adventurer's guide made me sad hearing about Myth Drannor falling again...well, I suppose technically it was fell on...by Netheril, but you get the idea. So far the lore for 5th Ed has been more sane than 4th at the very least.

Yes. It seems when ever the elves are making progress they get stomped in FR. Lol but they are supposed to be a mysteriously aloof /and magical bunch of creatures.

Atomic Twinkie

I quite like 5th Ed, myself. Though I haven't looked much into the Lore of 5th Ed yet. I've only got source books. Because I'm poor. XD

Fire Wraith

Well (to get off topic a little here :)  ) I think part of it has to do with the whole "Myth Drannor as dangerous, exotic, magical ruins of mystery and adventure" was part of Ed's whole original intent with the place, and inasmuch as 4th edition pretty much ran roughshod over Ed's creation, moreso than 3rd ever had, 5th is sort of Ed's (and Salvatore's and others') attempt to undo all that.

Personally, I like the idea of retaking Myth Drannor. But that's me.

And, luckily, CD is our creation, so we can do as we please in that sense - we're not tied to any official timeline or such. And by 'we' I mean all of us, because CD is a community, and everyone has some degree of input and ability to affect it, even if individuals don't always get their way - even me, and I pay the bills  ;) .
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." -George Bernard Shaw

"So long as you harbor love for this world, ever shall there be a place for you in it. Your adventures will never end."

Darvins

Fire Wraith Avatar
belladonna Avatar
Nov 20, 2015 17:22:45 GMT -5  @belladonna said:
Right, nowhere near on that scale, but certainly individuals could have come to help within the context of that, was what I mean.
Not unreasonable especially as I do think a few characters did have their chars go looking for help elsewhere. I vaguely recall for example Galdern going to Evereska looking for help, and I do not think I was the only person that had their characters do something along those lines.

Fire Wraith

Darvins Avatar
Fire Wraith Avatar
Not unreasonable especially as I do think a few characters did have their chars go looking for help elsewhere. I vaguely recall for example Galdern going to Evereska looking for help, and I do not think I was the only person that had their characters do something along those lines.
Yes, pretty much this. It's a reason that could have drawn individuals to the region from Evereska/Evermeet, though not on any major scale - but certainly enough to explain why a given PC or two made their way to the Cormanthor.

Ryoko Honda

I have been reading all your posts, and have been discussing details with my rp partner. I'm very happy to see the invested response that everyone has given here. It shows a quality of a community that really is attractive. I respect your decisions to mantain a separate storyline.

Prehaps I can ask one of you now, that your invested in my thread. What has been going on lately? I don't need any meta or / details, just some general things.

Is there large ongoing quest going on? Are events active? Is something like the Elven Cursade on the project list of the Story Lines to be told.

You mentioned Bristar was conservative / Isolationist. How does that affect the rp?

Are there Elf quests specifically, around Semberholm lately? are the Elf Story Parts of the Server active? Or is the focus based around more mainstream storyline?

I guess my real question is, logistics and event management, how players get involved, and or is on the player to drive storyline and petition the dm's for NPC interaction.

Ryoko Honda

And,

What's currently going on in Bristar? Are there active plots going on right now? or is it inactive?

cherrycoke2l

To my knowledge there are currently no plots ongoing in Velethuil/Bristar – last thing I can think of were some political struggles as to whether to accept non-elves in one part of the town. What hasn't been mentioned yet is that we've had some RP in the past regarding the end of the elven Retreat, so that might give reason for various characters to arrive in Cormanthor.

Deleted

What has been going on lately? I don't need any meta or / details, just some general things.

The Princess Regent and Mage Royal have both gone missing after an incident involving a far-plane being and creatures.  Currently, Cormyr is settling into a Regent Council formed from the nobles.  The Queen Mother is missing, having fled after multiple assassination attempts.  Deepingdale faced some troubles from Drow and Sembians, only to discover that some others may be behind the troubles.  The Zhentarim destroyed a stonelands mining village of Griffon Hill (that had a Thayan Tower in it), and then conquered a Cormyrian settlement of Stonehaven.

Is there large ongoing quest going on? Are events active?

If you mean a server plot, yes and no.  There is the Princess Regent storyline (that I hope to address soon), and there IS a server-wide plot that is beginning.  8D   In general, quests are left to the DMs to decide on.  We are fairly active, though currently there are several personal development quests in progress.

Is something like the Elven Cursade on the project list of the Story Lines to be told.

Maybe.  It's something the admins haven't decided on.

You mentioned Bristar was conservative / Isolationist. How does that affect the rp?

*sighs* It's not isolationist.  The situation in Velethuil/Bristar is that a LOT of character SEE it as conservative/isolationist because an elder is promoting that.  What is not being said is that the other elder and high priestess oppose it.  The community is divided between the two viewpoints, with the clergy opposing the isolationists.  The RP is that the community is in conflict, with the Moonshadows supporting the high priestess.  Any character is welcome in Bristar, as long as they're not drow-blood.  (See prior post on the wards that prevent that.)

Are there Elf quests specifically, around Semberholm lately? are the Elf Story Parts of the Server active? Or is the focus based around more mainstream storyline?

Currently, no.  There have been, in the past.  (I've run several, and the prior server plot involved a Drow invasion of Deepingdale/Velethuil.)  Most of the elven community frequents both Cormyr and Velethuil.  Our current focus is on the mainstream storyline.  It cycles around, depending on the individual DM interest.

I guess my real question is, logistics and event management, how players get involved, and or is on the player to drive storyline and petition the dm's for NPC interaction.

Ah, that's more complicated.  There is currently a rather even divide between open quests and personal requests.  The Announced Quest forum is used for open-involvement quests.  :)   That said, if you have an interesting quest idea, the Quest Requests forum is used to gain DM attention.

Mystic Warden

Just an idea: it would be good to have a forum sub-section (we can call it "What's up in Cormyr?"), listing each major settlement/geographical area in a separate thread, and with each, the current status of things there which are considered common knowledge. Even some rumors, as there are always rumors when something is not clearly known.

It would help a lot the new players, also old ones like me, who is not an expert on FR lore, to get on speed and more easily involved in the plots. Not to mention that server canon is different to FR canon.

I know we have a thread about what's happening in the realm, but with the format I suggested the information would be more clear-cut and faster and easier to find.
Sindel Sinul, witch, herbswoman and tarot reader extraordinaire with a strong business sense
Diana Castelli, cute bookworm, arcane nerd, with the 'Weapon focus: book' feat
Vicky DeVille, daddy's princess, conjuring up some trouble
Melinda Moon, merc with a mouth and two tonfa-hilted short swords