Main Menu

New thought for random DM XP daily....

Started by destinysdesire, Nov 25, 2015, 10:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

destinysdesire

In loot, random droppable items that can be worth anything from 50xp - 200xp based on the item, its value and where you get it, the item would be a 5% drop and there could be various types such as...For note they would be turned in at the eyes and ears, the same place you get the bandits quest as reports of missing/stolen items would be sent there.

Lost Nobles Ring - 50xp
Stolen Wizards Robe - 75xp
Tome of spells - 50xp
Guards love letter - 50xp
Misplaced Royal broach - 200xp
Lost Signet ring - 100xp

I can suggest more if its wanted, but its a good start of an ideal.
Loss of empathy might well be the most enduring and deep-cutting scar of all, the silent blade of an unseen emey, tearing at our hearts and stealing more than our strength- Drizzt Do'Urden

Goat

I actually really like this idea, if the items were a low drop rate throughout the loot tables.  It'd not give too much of a boost to unbalance things, but would also encourage going out to explore on a regular basis.  I know all too often it's easy to just sit around and avoid dungeons when a character is capped - I know I'm guilty of it - could be a way to at least get something for wandering about the wilderness (because, seriously, there are bugs out there guys.)

destinysdesire

That was my thought too, after you reach the 300 cap which you reach really fast for daily ticks, unless you know where all the available quests are, or your part of a DM event, short of sitting around often there is little more to do. Just thought this might encourage others to go out, do something, be spontaneous!
Loss of empathy might well be the most enduring and deep-cutting scar of all, the silent blade of an unseen emey, tearing at our hearts and stealing more than our strength- Drizzt Do'Urden

Vincent07

Unfortunately, the loot system doesn't quite work this way.  Items are placed in a container considered part of a tier.  Generally, the higher tiers have lower drop rates, unless that specific container is accessed directly.  If they only ended up in higher tiered containers, then they'd only be found in the epic dungeons.  

Mostly, I don't want a  type of farmable method to bypass the RP caps.  Though if each item could only be turned in once ever per character, that might prevent such.
"You think any of it matters? The things we did? The lives we destroyed. That's all that's ever gonna count. So, yeah, surprise. You're going to hell. We both are." -Angel

destinysdesire

Garage Trashcan

I'm still not a fan of RNG in this regard, and I think fans of MMOs and other grindy-games would agree. I don't think this type of system would work very well here, for that reason. Even if all the items ended up adding to what, 500 or 1000XP if you collected them all. You saved yourself what, two or three days of RP XP in the long, long journey to level 20 or 30 even? I'd hardly call that worth it. Anything more than that and it becomes an unfair balance because you'll have people that will get them all in two weeks and the people who could go a year without seeing a single one drop, thanks to RNG.

What I do think is a good idea, though, is something that was brought up a few years ago. Each dungeon would have a first-time exploration bonus on a weekly reset that you'd get at the end. The problems I remember with this being that unexpected server resets would mean that you could collect them again sooner than intended, as well as the fact that some dungeons are wildly unbalanced, so the time it would take to balance the dungeons (read, ongoing) would be the time it would take to implement the system. This encourages the exploration of going to more than just the same 5 dungeons over and over at certain tiers of play. It's something I'd still like to see added, but with the balancing stipulation being that it's a one-time completion bonus period, with no reset. With all the dungeons level 10+ included, there would easily be 8-10k or more XP earned in this way.
Torsten Solberg - Jovial Jotunkind
Halonya Gabranth - Paladin of Hoar
Alethra Duskmantle - Spoiled Socialite
Retired PCs: Felix Greentrack, Nikolai Mikhailovich

truly

I'm not sure I'd do a weekly reset with that, I could see heavy farming of the system. I know I'd be one to take my level 12 character through the Arabel sewers just to get a couple hundred XP.

On the other hand, that might not be a terribly bad thing. It would speed up XP gained slightly, but it's very likely that the amount of XP you gain at higher levels, while becoming greater and greater as you're able to conquer more and more dungeons, would still be a rather small amount of XP progress toward your next level.

Garage Trashcan

truly Avatar
I'm not sure I'd do a weekly reset with that, I could see heavy farming of the system. I know I'd be one to take my level 12 character through the Arabel sewers just to get a couple hundred XP.

On the other hand, that might not be a terribly bad thing. It would speed up XP gained slightly, but it's very likely that the amount of XP you gain at higher levels, while becoming greater and greater as you're able to conquer more and more dungeons, would still be a rather small amount of XP progress toward your next level.

The dungeon XP would be set up to either start with only the mid-tier dungeons or otherwise work like our quest system does now. Once you're past a certain level, quests won't give you XP anymore. So going through the sewers at level 7 or so wouldn't get you anything
Torsten Solberg - Jovial Jotunkind
Halonya Gabranth - Paladin of Hoar
Alethra Duskmantle - Spoiled Socialite
Retired PCs: Felix Greentrack, Nikolai Mikhailovich