Main Menu

Extreme lag issues.

Started by thorien, Feb 01, 2016, 01:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorien

Hello fellow RPers.

Recently, I have experienced extreme lags, especially in the US evening. I have no idea what causes them, I have only noticed that it is usually connected with the number of people on the server. Worth noticing, I am playing here for a longer while, two years or so and never had such issues. I haven't changed my machine, nor ISP or service. Lag is purely connection based, no FPS drops and other indicators of issues on the line PC-NwN. 

By extreme lag I mean:
- Total unability to walk straight, warping around, using random activable placeables near the desired path.
- Delay of my emotes ranging from 5 to 30 (!) seconds. Obviously, it's hard to tell whether ones I recieve are delayed or not.
- Vanishing private messages from time to time.
- Combat... Well, virtually impossible. Imagine 10 attacks hitting at once for me.
- Connecting to the server. I see ping as "-1" all the time, and it takes several attempts to connect usually (timeouts). Same for Event server, even when empty.
- Inventory/Chracter sheet. Updating it after opening takes 20-30 secs.

In general, from time to time character is fully responsive and message has one second of delay, which is acceptable, then, shortly after, I need to wait 20 seconds to even move her few meters ahead (providing she is not warping around like wild mage on cocaine.).

I have all my drivers updated, no third party programs in the background, no torrents, steams and any other bandwidth eaters.
I have no other users, trying to download whole internet at once, my router is connected to the PC by wire.
All bandwidth tests and other games are working properly and without issues, same goes for skype/teamspeak and other programs that usually indicate connection issues immidiately.
Other NwN servers are working well for me.
I have tried disabling firewall and antivir as well.

Any of you had that issue before? I may provide parameters of my pc, dxdiags and all if it is needed. Thank you for any ideas provided. :)

EDIT:
As FaeFae have suggested, I changed my client port. Sadly, the issue lingers. Thank you for the idea though!

Nokteronoth

How old is your router/modem and which ISP do you have?

Have you called them about it and seen if they've been capping you?

Do you lag on things other than NWN?

What's your typical speedtest rating at normal hours compared to peak?

~BR

thorien

It's D-Link, five years old or so. Never had any problems with it. My ISP won't probably help you, it's Neostrada. I am -still- living in Poland. ;)

Yes, they are not.

No, as I have stated in my post. All works perfectly smoooth, even other servers.

Download ~9mb/s, upload 0,87 ping 40. Close to typical.

thorien

Pinging CD with command line gives me 4 timeouts (100% loss)

Dismus

I have had similar issues recently.

Dismus

I timed out again tonight and could not reconnect.

thorien

Sometimes it takes 10 minutes and numerous attempts.

thorien

Hmm, the issue has solved itself it would seem. No idea what caused it, but seems to be gone... For now.

valiea987

thorien Avatar
Hmm, the issue has solved itself it would seem. No idea what caused it, but seems to be gone... For now.

Goat

I've had issues as well; with anything internet related the last week or so.  Happened about a month ago as well and Time Warner came out and said it was their bad; they had issues after the fact.