Main Menu

Languages??

Started by destinysdesire, Feb 21, 2016, 10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

destinysdesire

Well after searching up the term Languages and getting 10+ pages to look at for it, I think I will just ask the staff. Is there a listing anywhere in the forums to tell us what actual languages are on and supported by the server? Which ones we can apply for, which ones require special permissions and so on.
Loss of empathy might well be the most enduring and deep-cutting scar of all, the silent blade of an unseen emey, tearing at our hearts and stealing more than our strength- Drizzt Do'Urden

destinysdesire

For note, mainly looking for ones that are not listed in the journal as I know there are a number of others that are not listed there.
Loss of empathy might well be the most enduring and deep-cutting scar of all, the silent blade of an unseen emey, tearing at our hearts and stealing more than our strength- Drizzt Do'Urden

Nokteronoth

Languages: These speak for themselves. You need to posess the token to use these or you'll recieve an error message stating you cannot speak the language. Languages are shared with summons, familiars, henchmen and companions. The language tokens do not need to be activated before you can use the language.
/common           Common language - No translations happen for this language. Default setting.
/elven
/orcish
/dwarven
/gnomish
/halfling
/goblin
/draconic - Casting Class or Half-Dragon(or dragon blood?)
/animal - AFAIK being considered 'druidic language'
/thievescant - rogues
/celestial - This one I think you need to ask for specifically.
/abyssal
/infernal
/drow - disabled
/undercommon
/sylvan
/netherese

forums.cormyrdalelands.com/index.php?topic=123

Netherese, as I am told, is being considered for removal for PCs to speak for some reason the admins are deciding on.

~BR

destinysdesire

There are some here still not listed that are permitted to be used RP wise, some for instance being the Drow sign language, some of the elemental languages like ignan and such...as to Netherese, I believe personally that unless you are from there or have a player or DM run NPC teaching you the language, you really should not be able to learn it, but thats my own opinion and I dont speak for the DMs or Admin.

Theorem of Neutrality

I believe any of the languages in the Realms your character should know are permitted to be used in RP. All of the human regional languages, for example. Natives to Cormyr would receive proficiency in the Chondathan language for free.

Humans from Aglarond would have the ability to write in Espruar, as another example, due to their language having ties to the elves that live in the Yuirwood.

You should look up the regions your characters are from for a list of languages common to that area - and you can usually find a few sparse words or even full dictionaries on the FR wiki or Candlekeep.

Deleted

We do not support or enforce regional languages, so the above post does not apply.

Darvins

Animal is not Drudic it's a replication of the spell speak with animals, Drudic is not mechanically supported, only Roleplay supported.

destinysdesire

Can we have the Devs/DMs input on this?

Deleted

Darvins is correct.