Main Menu

Question on Arcane Archers

Started by spamtastic1979, May 18, 2016, 06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spamtastic1979

Is it possible through feats to allow an archer to fire a bow in melee range and not trigger Attack of opportunities? I was looking if taking Dodge, Mobility and Spring attack would work.. but I think that these only to allow you to run through mobs correct?

destinysdesire

Point Blank Shot basically allows that.
Loss of empathy might well be the most enduring and deep-cutting scar of all, the silent blade of an unseen emey, tearing at our hearts and stealing more than our strength- Drizzt Do'Urden

spamtastic1979

I thought Point blank just negates the penalty to hit

Nokteronoth

No, there is no feat to stop AoO's from bows. They're not meant to be used in melee. 15 feet is 1.5 squares away from an enemy, which is a good shooting range to skirt.

~BR

Deleted

Point-blank shot only gives a bonus to attack/damage at closer ranges.  It does not eliminate AoO.

Garage Trashcan

I was pretty sure Spring Attack worked to prevent this? Ven always picked it and he only played AAs.
Torsten Solberg - Jovial Jotunkind
Halonya Gabranth - Paladin of Hoar
Alethra Duskmantle - Spoiled Socialite
Retired PCs: Felix Greentrack, Nikolai Mikhailovich

onivel

Garage Trashcan Avatar
I was pretty sure Spring Attack worked to prevent this? Ven always picked it and he only played AAs.

That allows you to move through an area near an enemy without incurring the AoO, but does not negate it for firing while near.
" Just take that little voice in your head that tells you to be tactful and understanding and shoot it. Shoot it in the goddamn face. " - Kirito .. Message is brought to you by the Kirito is Always Right Foundation.

Misty

Mobility gives you bonus AC vs AoO, and archers often have excess feats. So it's not a bad choice for them, but yeah. As said above.
Of course you should fight with fire. You should fight everything with fire.
---
There's too many they consumed everything

Darvins

Garage Trashcan Avatar
Ven's best defence against getting hit in combat was his chars wore exploding clothes:p So when Tharn for example did get hit, it damaged the guy hitting him. Also Tharniraar had melee weapons

Garage Trashcan

Darvins Avatar
Garage Trashcan Avatar
Ven's best defence against getting hit in combat was his chars wore exploding clothes:p So when Tharn for example did get hit, it damaged the guy hitting him. Also Tharniraar had melee weapons
Ven had more characters than just Bird, and Bird was the only one with exploding pants.
Torsten Solberg - Jovial Jotunkind
Halonya Gabranth - Paladin of Hoar
Alethra Duskmantle - Spoiled Socialite
Retired PCs: Felix Greentrack, Nikolai Mikhailovich

Darvins

But Exploding pants beats all other considerations:p

trylobyte

Spring Attack was probably taken to facilitate kiting for when Tumble isn't an option, since you won't take an AoO for running away.

Hand_of_Banath

Only feat I ever recall doing this in pen and paper was a class feat for justice of Weald and woe, called steady hand

Arya

In other words, Eldreth Veluuthra exclusive PrC. >.> Less likely to be taken by a PC here since being a member of such an organization is like making a Banite in Cormyr (or at least would not live long once found out).

But I digress.

~Arya
"I will break the chains of our past, the hold of Empires my ancestors swore against. My sins began with him, they will end with me, Seldarine witness to my defiance!" -- Daeatria Ravenshadow

"Our failings did not mean no Dream was. Some fought for it, many died for it." --Kan'itae Ravenshadow

Vincent07

Not something I can alter, as it's part of the combat engine, which is hardcoded.

But as far as surviving as an archer, take Mobility, which will increase your AC vs an AoO.
Also keep concealment up.   Displacement scrolls are your friend.
"You think any of it matters? The things we did? The lives we destroyed. That's all that's ever gonna count. So, yeah, surprise. You're going to hell. We both are." -Angel