Main Menu

Alter Self - Suggestion

Started by Hand_of_Banath, Jun 23, 2017, 04:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hand_of_Banath

After checking to see if it was possible in preparation for a potential new character, I noticed it is not possible to change gender using the Alter Self Widget.

Would it be possible/simple to add another option to the alter self system to alter gender?

Edge

I do not think there is a function that allows changing of a character's gender, no. Every time a pc has changed gender in the past it required a remake of the character, so I don't imagine doing so temporarily via spell is possible either. Heck, we can't even do it with LETO.

It's a shame because as a dm a function that would let me change an npc's gender would be immensely useful - I can think of several instances where I needed a female npc and only male ones of proper level/class were available or vice versa. But that seems to be one of the few settings BioWare didn't build in a way to toggle post-creation.
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.
DM Tiamat | Szuriel | Maedhbh | Cassilda

allatum

The actual scripts to change a character model on that level involves using customized Visual Effects I think. It's neat but complicated.

Hand_of_Banath

fair enough, I know the initial gender selection was fairly set in stone. But I wasn't sure if just changing the character model/appearance would be as set in stone.

Not Batman

Also have to consider that animations and item appearances change with gender also. So that would be...well, a hellish undertaking to script.

Eredruie

Mind, I think it's pretty trivial to change to a pre-set model. There are NPC models that are essentially like monster models. Not customisable (and clothing wouldn't show) like a PC model, but it's something?

Edge

We try to avoid using those models - or monster models in general, barring shapeshifters like lycanthropes - for PCs.

And yeah, that's typically what I have to default to when I run into this problem DMside, since getting access to a dynamic model of the proper gender as well as class/level is such an issue sometimes.
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.
DM Tiamat | Szuriel | Maedhbh | Cassilda