Main Menu

Hak Update suggestions

Started by allatum, May 10, 2017, 06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mystic Warden

Would it be possible to implement the True Necromancer PrC?
Sindel Sinul, witch, herbswoman and tarot reader extraordinaire with a strong business sense
Diana Castelli, cute bookworm, arcane nerd, with the 'Weapon focus: book' feat
Vicky DeVille, daddy's princess, conjuring up some trouble
Melinda Moon, merc with a mouth and two tonfa-hilted short swords

Edge

If i recall correctly, TNecro is basically just Mystic Theurge with some tacked on spell likes. There's really nothing needing it that can't be done with a MT with necro focus feats.
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.
DM Tiamat | Szuriel | Maedhbh | Cassilda

Mystic Warden

Edge Avatar
If i recall correctly, TNecro is basically just Mystic Theurge with some tacked on spell likes. There's really nothing needing it that can't be done with a MT with necro focus feats.
IIRC it stacks all levels in arcane and divine spellcasting and TNecro for necromancy spells for their effect, and it also stacks turn/rebuke undead the same way. But that was the 3e version, not the 3.5e.
Sindel Sinul, witch, herbswoman and tarot reader extraordinaire with a strong business sense

allatum

Also to be old-hat. Could Druids get some of their elemental shapes a pass over for what item properties can merge? As it stands the class is getting some nice additions but it's still lackluster in a lot of places - Arcane casters do control and damage spells a lot better, clerics heal and buff better.... and (default) animal companions are subpar on a server with as much gearing as this one's got.

Edge

Mystic Warden Avatar
Edge Avatar
IIRC it stacks all levels in arcane and divine spellcasting and TNecro for necromancy spells for their effect, and it also stacks turn/rebuke undead the same way. But that was the 3e version, not the 3.5e.
I'm 99% sure we can't do that due to blackboxing.
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.

Edge

Just a word of caution, guys, as well.

While the suggestions aren't necessarily a bad thing, the haks are already several years in coming just with what they already have. Asking for more and more stuff to be added is only going to delay them longer.

If we ever want to actually see the haks happen, let's keep suggestions to smaller things - altering spell durations and access from certain classes, access to certain feats, opening race- or alignment-restricted classes, other things that are primarily editing scripts and prerequisites rather than creating new ones. No adding new classes or PrCs, no heavy mechanical adjustments like fiddling with wildshape (because that's not an easy edit, much less a quick one), etc. etc. etc.

Fire Wraith

Edge Avatar
allatum Avatar
This is a hardcoded issues that they tried to work around via scripting, I don't think haks can do anything to fix it.
Correct. There's really nothing we can do about this.
There is one thing we could do, but it has nothing to do with haks, and would require porting the entire server back over to Linux architecture rather than Windows. There are other reasons I'd like to do this, but it's not an insignificant amount of work, and wouldn't be part of any hak update.
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." -George Bernard Shaw

"So long as you harbor love for this world, ever shall there be a place for you in it. Your adventures will never end."

Mystic Warden

Would the hak update solve the issue of certain arcane spells being unable to be scribed onto a scroll?

trylobyte

Could you please look into the duration of Lesser Mind Blank and Mind Blank?  They have a very dodgy duration (it's certainly not the 1 turn per level it should be) and I can't find any documented changes to it that would explain why this is.

EveryBodySwing

Half suggestion, but more a question of clarification! Was wondering if the RDD requirement was staying lore due to limitations from being a base class, or if it might be changed to Knowledge Arcana like the rest.

Edge

I believe it should be changing as well. We can edit the base NWN class prereqs as well, such as we're doing for AA and DwDef.

L30

What I'm gonna ask now is a bit awkward but...
Why not set the ranger right?
Don't forget the HD is d8 not d10 so...Any possibilities?

Edge

We've done quite a bit to update Ranger to 3.5 standard, adding in Evasion and HIPS and a few other things. I think the only thing we haven't added is the ability to select other fighting styles besides Dual-Wield, which is currently not something we intend to do. The upcoming update is already adding a few things to their spell list as well, and improving some of the spells they already had (for example, Blade Thirst will work exactly the same as GMW). What else needs to be added or tweaked?

Garage Trashcan

L30 Avatar
What I'm gonna ask now is a bit awkward but...
Why not set the ranger right?
Don't forget the HD is d8 not d10 so...Any possibilities?
Don't you dare suggest to remove my precious d10 hit die!
Torsten Solberg - Jovial Jotunkind
Halonya Gabranth - Paladin of Hoar
Alethra Duskmantle - Spoiled Socialite
Retired PCs: Felix Greentrack, Nikolai Mikhailovich

Edge

I believe that was an intentional choice to leave it at d10. Pathfinder went and changed it back to d10 anyway, and believe me, there's enough of us here that would update everything to PF if we could. It also makes the class just a little more appealing to people, in addition to all the other updates we've given it since.

So no, I don't see nerfing Ranger's hit die as being something we'll do. If for no other reason than it doesn't seem to gain us anything. It doesn't encourage more people to play Rangers - in fact, it'll probably dissuade people even more - and it's not such a drastic difference from the game as to unbalance anything; having 20 or so extra HP by high level isn't going to sway the results of an event or dungeon immensely, more likely than not. It gets us nothing other than more exactly in line with 3.5, where the nerf was, to be honest, kind of pointless anyway. As I said in my last post, we've updated a lot to the Ranger to add their new features and update some of their abilities, but all of those changes were with the intent to strengthen the class and make it more appealing and more able to hold its own in CD's climate; nerfing it seems at best unnecessary and at most hostile to those who do play the class or are considering it.