Main Menu

Hak Update suggestions

Started by allatum, May 10, 2017, 06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allatum

Since the Bard class is having the likes of rapiers added to its list of proficient weapons, could the duelist also be changed to include bard weapon proficiency for its requirement?

Nokteronoth

I think they meant so that,  for example,  bard characters wouldn't have to take the martial feat.

IE have it count to meet that requirement,  not make the class require bard.

~BR

allatum

Nokteronoth Avatar
I think they meant so that,  for example,  bard characters wouldn't have to take the martial feat.

IE have it count to meet that requirement,  not make the class require bard.

~BR

Yeah, this. Currently, martial, rogue, and elf count. Primarily because they all include finesse weapons (the common link being Rapier) in those proficiency sets. It'd be nice if a bard could take Duelist without needing to dip or start as an elf.

Nokteronoth

Well, you can take the proficiency feats without any race or having to dip in another class, but that's just it- you need to give up a feat in order to use the weapons, which can be a pain.

~BR

allatum

Either would work! I was only looking at the server's current requirements for them and not the P&P base.

Hand_of_Banath

To avoid starting another thread with more suggestions. I figured I'd hijack Allatum's thread with one of my own.

Given the current trend of making some prestige classes non-race-specific, given the lack of other barbarian like prestige classes (frenzied Berserker and others) I was wondering if opening up Dwarven Battlerager to all races would be on the table?

Vincent07

Yep. That one will be opening up too, possibly with some changes, though on the whole it works well enough.
"You think any of it matters? The things we did? The lives we destroyed. That's all that's ever gonna count. So, yeah, surprise. You're going to hell. We both are." -Angel

spamtastic1979

I was just wondering why Eldritch Knight gets tumble as a class skill and not Spellsword? Does Parry even work in NWN that it was added to Weapon Master?

Nokteronoth

Parry doesn't really work well at all. You can only parry the first attack in each flurry from each of the 3 flurries in a round (1/3rd effectiveness, or 3 out of 9 possible attacks a round.) Natural 20's can't be parried, nor can ranged attacks.

As for the Tumble, I can't really comment.

~BR

Mystic Warden

Would the hak update solve the issue with sorcerers taking levels in spell-giving PrCs before lvl 18 crashing the server? (The same goes for bards, too.)
Sindel Sinul, witch, herbswoman and tarot reader extraordinaire with a strong business sense
Diana Castelli, cute bookworm, arcane nerd, with the 'Weapon focus: book' feat
Vicky DeVille, daddy's princess, conjuring up some trouble
Melinda Moon, merc with a mouth and two tonfa-hilted short swords

Not Batman

spamtastic1979 Avatar
I was just wondering why Eldritch Knight gets tumble as a class skill and not Spellsword? Does Parry even work in NWN that it was added to Weapon Master?
Comparing the two, Spellsword is vastly more powerful. Eldritch Knight gets absolutely no abilities save for the one free feat at first level. Spellswords are ultimately best as tanks, all of their abilities are based about armor and shields and using them with their magic. Eldritch Knights gaining Tumble and Uncanny Dodge sets a feel and design for them as a class that is more nimble and not based about armor and these two changes give them a good bit more power to close the gap between the currently underwhelming EK and the vastly more powerful Spellsword. Stylistically, Eldritch Knights are not really armored mages (Though there are the rare exceptions) but they are in combat just as much as them so it would make sense that they would be learning to evade attacks and minimize moments where they are dropping their guard.

allatum

Mystic Warden Avatar
Would the hak update solve the issue with sorcerers taking levels in spell-giving PrCs before lvl 18 crashing the server? (The same goes for bards, too.)

This is a hardcoded issues that they tried to work around via scripting, I don't think haks can do anything to fix it.

Edge

allatum Avatar
Mystic Warden Avatar
This is a hardcoded issues that they tried to work around via scripting, I don't think haks can do anything to fix it.

Correct. There's really nothing we can do about this.
Kestal | Bernadette | Eden | Tonya | Vaszayne | Koravia | Alastriona | Natascha | Emari | Urilias-Zhjaeve | Hiltrude | Tatya | Dioufn | Aida | Cyrillia | Megan | etc.
DM Tiamat | Szuriel | Maedhbh | Cassilda

spamtastic1979

That does make a lot of sense the way you put it, thanks for explaining it. 

Was there a balance reasoning for Parry added to Wm's? Is parry handled differently on this server due to the Hak?

Not Batman Avatar
spamtastic1979 Avatar
Comparing the two, Spellsword is vastly more powerful. Eldritch Knight gets absolutely no abilities save for the one free feat at first level. Spellswords are ultimately best as tanks, all of their abilities are based about armor and shields and using them with their magic. Eldritch Knights gaining Tumble and Uncanny Dodge sets a feel and design for them as a class that is more nimble and not based about armor and these two changes give them a good bit more power to close the gap between the currently underwhelming EK and the vastly more powerful Spellsword. Stylistically, Eldritch Knights are not really armored mages (Though there are the rare exceptions) but they are in combat just as much as them so it would make sense that they would be learning to evade attacks and minimize moments where they are dropping their guard.

Vincent07

Parry behavior cannot be altered, as it is part of the combat engine, and hard coded into the game engine.

As to EK vs Spellsword,  the latter does have some other tweaks coming, assuming I can ever fix the issue the class currently has where it is destroying stats on chest armor.  If I can not track that down the class may have to be disabled.
"You think any of it matters? The things we did? The lives we destroyed. That's all that's ever gonna count. So, yeah, surprise. You're going to hell. We both are." -Angel